Table + stock weight limits (apropos a mill vise)

I started cutting a design out of some old oak stock that I have, but it turns out that the carpet tape is insufficiently strong to keep it from moving while cutting.

I see two solutions: the first is to reduce the feed rate so there is less lateral pressure, the second is to secure the stock with something more robust.

The first is easier, but if I’m going to be making a lot of items, it standard to reason that a decent milling vise would be a good investment. But I’m not sure how much weight I can expect to mount to the table. I could get an inexpensive 4" milling vise from a colleague, but it weighs nearly 50lbs. Would I burn out the motors with such a heavy table?

I found that when you use a large milling vise that it doesn’t fit very well within the 3" z height available with the Nomad. I am waiting for the Carbide crew to start selling their small vise, hopefully soon.

When working with wood, I’ve been sanding the tape side. Just a few minutes to flatten made a significant improvement.

Yeah, rumor has it that the vise will be available sometime in March. I look forward to that as well!

I’ll give that a go. Out of curiosity, what kinds of wood are you using?

I’ve been using some old (crappy) ~1/4" oak veneered plywood and ~1/4" maple veneered plywood to experiment. The Wood-Soft material settings has worked reasonably well for that.

My goal has been to machine ~1/4" mesquite. I’ve been incrementally building procedures and settings until today when I successfully machined a writing board. Mesquite is a beautiful but extremely difficult wood!

I have another thread started about mesquite. When I can remember, I’ll post details on that thread and link to it from here.

I’ve been milling some tiny pieces of wood. ( around 1.75 x 1.75 x .4) and when i tried double sided tape after attaching it i found it shifting when I barely touch it.

after watching one of apollo’s you tube videos i saw that he used: fixturing wax

and mentioned here.
http://instagram.com/p/yvJpc6LSsG/?modal=true

im not exactly sure what he has been using exactly but ive been using hot glue to hold the wood pieces in place and a craft heat gun afterwards to heat it up and get the piece off.

hope that helps.

A great quirk of hot glue is that rubbing alcohol will make it release almost instantly.

We keep it in a squeeze bottle to get it right at the glue we’re trying to release.

-Rob

Rubbing alcohol also works to remove goo left behind from the double-sided tape.

If you have a 6"X6" piece of wood with hot glue on the bottom holding it to the 883 how to you get the hot glue in the center of the piece to release?

You kind of work it and wiggle it, and the alcohol crawls under it

for hot glue, I found if you use a anything like a metal paint scrapper (i had a kitchen scrapper handy + it does the same thing) and you use a craft heat gun, you start heating the scrapper. and the edge of the material. and when the scrapper gets really warm. it starts to slide right under your project.

I have been wondering the same thing after loosing a couple carvings when the tape came off.
I am wondering if it would work to basically get 4 L shaped brackets with a drilled hole on each angle of the bracket, and connecting them to the wasteboard via screws. Then some set screws could be used to tighten the stock on each side on the part that sticks up. Of course that would not work if you cut away most of the wood, but for reliefs etc i beleive it would be worth trying. Anything that speaks against it?

Wow, what a difference! The tape didn’t work very well at all - I was 1-for-2 with the wrench and 0-for-3 on the second tutorial with the tape. I even tried taping down a jig of sorts around the block, as we’ll as the block itself, and got no further than a couple of passes.
I was mighty frustrated, but the hot melt gun worked first try. I am 1-for-1 on it, and ready to start again!

Thanks!

Ok. 1-for-2 on the hot glue. On my next attempt, carving into basswood, it popped off the base after about 1/4" depth. This is getting a bit frustrating. It sounds like I need some sort of vise, after all.