Tablesaw Throat Plate Revisited - Need fusion pocketing help

OK, here’s a weird one. Turns out that this insert is so long that it’s hard to get it to be perfectly flat. There are grub screws, but they obviously only work in one direction - pushing up, except at the front and rear where there are fixing screws.

Now, if the middle naturally wants to bow down, then the grub screws can be adjusted to push the middle up. However, if the middle naturally wants to curves up, then there’s nothing that can be done to level the plate.

I checked the original plate, which is aluminum, and it appears to have a slight bow in it such that the middle is naturally down. The plate then bends as you attach it front and rear, and the grubs screws do their job.

How can I get the same kind of bow in my machined plates? I don’t need much - just a couple of mm’s.

One thought was to place a 2 mm spacer under the middle of the plate when attaching it to the spoilboard (we’re machining the underside). That would push the middle up temporarily, so when removed from the spoilboard and flipped so the milled side is down (the actual position), the middle would be recessed by the thickness of the spacer.

But, that’s just the first step, Next we have to get the currently unmilled surface (the installed top) parallel to the bottom. So, attach the bottom down to the spoilboard, forcing it flat (the ends will need tighter fixing), and do a simply facing operation.

When removed from the spoilboard the plate would then spring back to a now slightly bowed composition. This, of course, assumes I can get strong enough bonding to the spoilboard to do these milling operations. The Acetal (Delrin) plastic is pretty bendable at the 11mm thickness, so maybe.

But, perhaps another way would be to somehow map the existing Fusion 360 model onto a slight curve. Since I’m milling all the areas that would contact the tablesaw top, that would essentially force the box in the bottom as needed. I’d still have to mill the topside of the piece with the corresponding curve as well, but that wouldn’t be harder than the first “mapping.”

Is there some “easy” way to warp all the existing milling operations onto a slight curve like this instead of the existing flat plane?

If not easy, perhaps another way is to manually change the heights for the 8 leveling areas (4 along each side). If the leveling areas near the ends were milled deeper, then attachment there would make the item curve up in the middle since the leveling areas there aren’t as deep. The trick then becomes how to mill the other side to be flat when installed. That’s a bunch harder I think.

The way I don’t want to have to do this is to drill holes in my tablesaw top and have clearance holes in the insert, so using a screw would force the plate down.

Yet another option is to figure out how to permanently bend the Acetal a couple of mms. I’ve seen it done with thin plastic, but this finished piece is 11mm thick, so I don’t think a heat gun would be enough to get the plastic into temp range it needs to be, but maybe?

Thoughts, ideas welcome.

Here is a dumb question. How about putting a slight bow on it after it is milled.

Sorry have not followed you post to understand it fully

1 Like

OK, how do I go about that in 11mm thick acetal/Delrin? The melting temp is like 700ºF.

After sleeping on it, seems the easiest way might be:

1. Mill a slight curved facing onto the top. About a 1.5mm dip longitudinally.
  2. Secure top to the spoilboard as I do today - with strong double-stick tape - flattening it out.
  3. Mill the bottom per my V12 file above
  4. Removing from the spoilboard should then restore the curve.

What’s the easiest define the curved facing operation? Fusion or Carbide Create?

1 Like

After modeling a curved surface in Fusion and extruding it and then trying various operations, I ended up just putting a credit card under the stock in the middle when double-stick taping it down. Then just do a run of the mill facing operation in CC or even manually, then clean up the surface, then remove from the spoilboard. Viola! A slightly bowed down surface.

Now I just need to decide if this should be done before the underside is milled or after. Seems better to do before, but the one I tried was done after and it turned out OK.

1 Like

TIA (Thanks in Advance). What I’ve learned is that Sketch Dimensions aren’t to have a dimensioned drawing, but to tell Fusion what the dimensions need to be, and in a way that you can change them later (via “Change Parameters”). The way people seem to be sketching is drawing the shape, sometimes editing the dimensions in the little pop-ups that appear, but also positioning and dimensioning by adding Sketch Dimensions (the “D” shortcut).

I still don’t yet understand the projection between Sketches thing, but that’ll come.

In the meantime, I’m making good progress on this part, with the last step being the credit card underneath then face mill to get a bowed part. It’s weird to intentionally mill it bowed, but that seems the best way to end up with a flat part that’s also properly aligned with the table. The bow puts tension on the plate against the grub screws - if I try to just have it flat, then if I’m off the tiniest bit in the middle the wrong way (bowing up), the plate has to be hand scraped/sanded down.

And in talking with the folks on the Inca Owner’s Mailing List, I’ve now got myself into a position where I’ll be making these for sale. Not as an income producing thing, but to help support other Inca owners. So this will be my first foray into low volume production (probably less than a 100 to be sold ever). Interesting, and kind of sobering on even just the tangible costs that go into making things (raw materials, consumables, wear items, electricity, handling payments, shipping), but that’s not for this thread.

OK, so I watched a few videos and got a decent handle on dimensioning and parametrization.

One thing I still can’t figure out is how to create a dimension from the midpoint of the side of a rectangle to, say, the origin.

Here’s my reworking of the file (took all day!):
InsertPlate All Final (parameterized) V1.f3d.zip (1.3 MB)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.