Testing More Aggressive GRBL Settings

No. You can send GRBL settings with basically every version of Carbide Motion since the beginning of time. If you send “$$” to print the settings in the log and you don’t see the changes, then something is wrong.

You won’t see much difference when you jog. Jogging speeds seem to cap out at 6000 mm/min currently when commanded through the CM UI. You’ll notice it in movements commanded via gcode instructions, ex. “G0 X0 Y0”.

4 Likes

When I watched Julien’s vid, it looks like his SO3 is on steroids!. Mine is no where close:(

Ok, some testing. It looks like in Julien’s vid, he’s jogging? I just tried mine and it is faster when you have it set to cut. So why his faster in jog mode?

Jog mode in CNCjs is not as sophisticated as in Carbide Motion so there will be a difference in speed when jogging with the two senders.

If you try the rapid positions in Carbide Motion or as @wmoy mentions, a MDI entered commanded position you should notice a difference in speed.

Oh my! I want to head to the shop and try this right now.
But its Sunday night I am at home.

Will try it first thing Monday morning! It feels like I just got a new toy!!

Interesting discussion, I never wondered earlier about CM built-in jog speed limits, and I don’t use CM much these days. The video shows jogging 100mm steps in CNCjs a few times, then homing.
If I get a chance I’ll retry with CM. Jogging is one thing, but I’m surprised that CM would not honor the homing seek speed? 1700mm/min from the initial 1000 should be noticeable.

1 Like

Bonjour @Julien would you mind posting your config file dude :slight_smile: please

Do you mean a list of my GRBL settings? You’re in luck, I happened to archive it yesterday evening for myself. But it’s basically “what Winston said”.

Note that it contains a few params that are specific to my machine (the calibrated params obviously, but also the max RPM at 24000 due to my spindle)

1 Like

Yes Julien thank you going to try this tonight!

1 Like

Just updated the XXL accordingly.
It has more pep now which is awesome. Appresh the info and breakdown @wmoy.

I think it would be slick to offer a conservative(beginner) and an aggressive (advanced) package.
I can understand the need for a modest setting, but it’s nice opening up the throttle on this machine once you’re comfy with it.

4 Likes

Just like the message board, once you have proven yourself, you can remove the training wheels.

1 Like

Here’s an SO3 XXL with those settings. I just reused a video I created a few days ago.

9 Likes

@Uriah
I like how you casually demo your custom touchscreen interface in a thread about boring settings. Is that your own UI?
If you’re up for it, please start a thread and explain what you did there.

3 Likes

Yes. It’s a project I’m working on to create an industrial-style touchscreen control panel for Grbl. I’ll create a proper post for it tomorrow. Sorry about that.

10 Likes

No need to apologize… Thanks for sharing!

I am very happy with these new settings. I tried a simple V carve and programmed it to 150IPM then cranked the rate at 200% once in motion…

Granted the cut was not very good… but i am thrilled with how much quicker tool changes, initialization and rapid moves went. Not sure how I can share the video here… but this thing was flying!

2 Likes

These settings are seriously amazing, especially for an XXL. What used to feel like a tedious process of changing tools, going from one job to the next, and waiting for the gantry to move around the table, now goes by so quickly. It’s kinda amazing how something simple like this can actually lower my overall psychological resistance to more complex jobs, since the whole process feels so much more streamlined and responsive now.

Thank you for sharing this @wmoy!

4 Likes

Looking forward to trying these settings but is there a list of the stock settings or a button that will reset to stock if I don’t like them?

Yes, you can just go in the Settings menu in CM, select your shapeoko model and options, and click “Send Config Data”. This should be called “Send Default/Factory Settings”, actually.

Winston, that’s so much for these settings. I tried them out for the first time today and my Vcarve job that used to take 30 to 35 minutes finished in 18 minutes. Quality remained the same at the faster speeds

THANK YOU

4 Likes