Text, Fonts are overlapping themselves

not always emerging as just precise vector. For instance an M or an N, the outside vector lines cross (on the inside sharp corners) and extend ever so slightly inside the letter then turn at a node and merge into themselves creating a little triangle. The tool path in Simulation goes around this. Other letters are created with individual vectors that overlap.

Is this normal when creating content with Text? Does text need to be post processed with snipping nodes?

Tnx

Post the file and a screen grab of the toolpaths?

In V7 you can change the spacing of text. If you are importing svg then fix in apication before exporting from graphics program.

1 Like

ToolPathProblem.c2d (92 KB)

Appreciate your suggestions William…

Tnx, this challenge I’m having is not from importing svg. I’m using existing font within Carbide Create and imported font.

Okay, the font is:

Which version did you install?

The Opentype version seems fine:

1 Like

This is normal for many fonts. They were not specifically designed to machine, but to draw with a filled color in a text editor, and for printing.

One way to fix them is to select them and edit the text (Select the Text tool), then select Convert to Curves.
For the self-intersecting letters, I think the easiest way is to just draw a polyline inside the letter that passed through the intersection.

Do this for each intersection, then select the letter & the polyline boxes and Boolean Weld them

Ah, you installed the .otf files, whereas I installed the .ttf single file and got the same results as Scott.

It’s not normal, it’s typical of poorly created fonts which have technical errors.

The solution here is to use the OpenType version.

1 Like

“Normal” as in, I see it often. Even with .svgs that were created for printing, and it’s OK to have things overlapping as long as the top objects are correct. They hide the overlapping objects beneath them when printing.

Will look for more OpenType fonts in the future. Thanks :slight_smile:

That something is wrong, but occurs often, does not make it “normal”.

LOL…I totally could not figure out what you meant by Opentype. Yes I got the fonts from the same source but I had installed TrueType. Figured this out by sheer trial and error, deleting and adding font from Windows and launching Create till viola. Thank you William, I am making clean complete tool paths now.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.