Texture toolpaths on metal

I’d like to create a fine stippled effect using the Mcetcher diamond engraving bit. It would require the bit to essentially ‘poke’ the metal many times to create a glittery surface. This is normally done by hand in the jewellery industry using a hammer head handpiece but considering the diamond drag bit is the same as the one used in the hammer handpiece, I figure automating the process should be possible.

I have a Nomad 3 and CC but not PRO. How would I go about using a texture toolpath (or not) to create this finish?

Input is much appreciated!
Gunter

I don’t think just poking the tool down will make much of a mark, and it’s far more likely to damage the diamond — a spinning small tool such as a #501 or 502 engraver might work better — but I believe to get the exact effect you want you’ll need a lot of small circles, and Drill toolpaths for them.

Thanks Will, so the texture toolpath option wouldn’t have any helpful shortcuts even for small endmill?

Gunter

You could use a Texture toolpath w/ a really short drag and much longer interval — might be workable for your purposes — experiment w/ the settings and see?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.