The devil is a sliver of aluminum

Just a cautionary tale…

I’ve been squaring up my xxl pro for the past few nights after work. Very new machine, cut a few projects things but haven’t given it the real treatment yet. I have some things to cut this weekend and I need accuracy.

So I got my cabinet perfectly leveled, bed leveled, square. Dead on. All measurements perfect.

I’m prepping to be able to surface the spoilboard and tram the Z, so I’m going a little bonkers with getting it perfect.

And it indeed measures perfect and I’m feeling really proud of myself.

But… the gantry ends… won’t square with the front. UGH wth…

The right side is behind the left by about 1/8”.

Perhaps my pride was misplaced?

So I loosen everything on the table. Belts off. Gantry loosened and retightened. all corners loosened and retightened, double check level on the frame, double check for square, a whole second night of this and one again, it’s perfectly square and level…. I KNOW it’s perfect.

But the gantry still won’t square with the front. UGH! WTF

Still 1/8” off.

I begin to question my manhood. My sanity. My purpose in life. At what point in my life had I erred so heinously to deserve this…

But I feel like I know what the problem is. I’m thinking the aluminum gantry was cut just ‘slightly’ off during manufacturing. It’s a reasonable explanation. It’s perfectly understandable. Wouldn’t take much. I just need to find a way to square it up!

So I start searching for solutions. Going through old forum messages trying to learn how others have squared up their machines. I found a really great tutorial by @Julien on how to shim the ends with aluminum foil. (Thank you!)

But… I’m shimming… and I’m shimming and It’s taking a thick bit of foil… and I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to need this much foil…and I can’t seem to bring it up… what is going on…. Ugh this thing is just racked…. GAH!!

Wait a minute…. What’s that?

On the back of the right side of the gantry, a little chunk of aluminum millings was crushed in between the end plate and the aluminum rail. I had been shimming the front and didn’t notice this on the back.

After staring at it for a moment, and whispering many awful things at it under my breath, I exorcised the demon. Just brushed it right off. I also removed all the foil shims I had added (except for one thin one). Tightened everything up.

Now the gantry does square with the front! Perfectly. YAY!

But that little damned bit of metal…. The devil. THE DEVIL!

I figured I’d share in case this story can save someone else the hours.
Since the gantry arrived assembled with the end plates, I never thought to unscrew and check those connections during the setup.
So I recommend checking those connections for manufacturing chips or debris if you can’t square your gantry easily. May simply be an aluminum gremlin living in there…

12 Likes

I read through that story like it’s an action movie, very entertaining (or maybe I’m just easily entertained)
Drama, characters questioning the meaning of life, a happy ending, everything! :sweat_smile:

Happy to hear it’s all nice and square now. I must say, while I had spent a fair amount of time squaring my SO3 back in the days, for me the Pro was dead on on first assembly, which was very satisfying.

3 Likes

Haha it sure felt more like a psychological thriller than an action movie.

When I found the aluminum crumb, I was like Michael Douglas at the end of of The Game wondering what in the hell had just happened.

Hard to find any good in repeatedly squaring the machine, especially over the course of a couple nights… but the eureka moment when I finally figured it out… I do have to admit, kind of euphoric LOL.

1 Like

Could be worse, you could have a 11 billion USD bit of kit in space with an unwanted shim induced fault :wink:

3 Likes

Haha

Thankfully my record is blemish free when it comes to satellites that I’ve sent into orbit. Not a single problem there - 100% success!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The one in my avatar was designed for 2 years but we’re still OK after 8, so I’m happy. The next one may even have the spaceframe machined on my Nomad if I can nail the workholding (if anyone from C3D wants to do a feature then reach out).

1 Like

Wow very cool! What’s it’s purpose?

Find all about our educational outreach here:

I built the on-board computer and designed the telemetry system.
I pulled in some friends to do some of the software.
On the developers page, I am peering down a microscope at a prototype circuit.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.