The dreaded disconnect / static electricity

I agree with you completely and now the support group has completely blown me off. I am trying to get the CEOs email but no luck at this point. They need to come up with solid fix or refund our money.

Wow I still have no reply from anyone at Carbide 3D

Hello!! Anyone there!!

You have been asked to address this to the folks at support@carbide3d.com — unless you have some new information to share here which might help the community help you, please stop posting here.

1 Like

My machine used to disconnect here and there some days were worse than others, some days only a couple times and it was only after completing a toolpath. (it would get done and the z axis would go up and disconnect). Then I wanted to install a water cooled spindle which went terribly, the spindle would kick on and would almost immediately disconnect. After making a post on this forum and doing a little research on my own, here is what all I did to combat that issue… some of this will not be applicable to your situation if you are still using a router.
EMI filter before the VFD
Shielded cable from VFD to the Spindle
Ferrite ring looped around spindle cable
USB isolator provided by carbide3d
I cut a piece of plastic to put between the carbide motion board and the frame rail then used vinyl bolts to secure it to the rail ( I had to buy a bag of them and would be happy to send you a couple if you want to do this and the plastic was from a cheap cutting board)

2 Likes

I work at a large cnc manufacturing facility and we have a huge boring mill ( i say huge because you could fit 2 trucks inside the thing and it has a 9’ quill that extends out) and we had to add ferrite rings due to emi… just because the price point of this machine is low doesnt mean a much bigger and more expensive machine isnt immune to the same issues. I will agree that it can be very frustrating though…

4 Likes

EMI disconnects are actually quite rare — we’ve sold a lot of machines, and relatively few have needed to have USB isolators sent out, and it’s unusual for that to not solve the problem.

Anyone who has difficulty with EMI disconnects should contact us at support@carbide3d.com

5 Likes