The "Oops" and "near-Oops" thread

Yeah, honestly a 2mm single-flute cutter with adaptive passes would probably be my best bet with these small pieces. Might take forever, but I wouldn’t have to worry about chip clearance nearly as much!
I think I’m going to stay as away from slotting as much as possible for the little stuff. For the big (edit: wood) projects, I’ll stick with contouring so that I don’t go to bed with adaptive passes still ringing in my head lol.

Did you mean “with that sweet sweet melody caressing my ears?” :slight_smile:
#BrrrBrrrBrrrRocks

4 Likes

That you say this at all is a reminder that slotting operations are almost always a losing option. An adaptive (trochoidal) method is usually faster since you can be more aggressive and are a lot less likely to break the tool or damage the work.

(yes, there will be people that disagree with this statement, but those people would not the the tool manufacturers. They live on repeat business, and repeat business comes with recommendations that save the customer money)

The only times I have been given the recommendation of conventional slotting in the last ten or more years (CNC… manual is a different game) have been very shallow slots (think 0.2mm deep, 20mm wide) and very narrow slots (think 0.5mm wide).

3 Likes

Maybe have it triggered by weight?

Be careful with your chips in the waste bin. The safest thing to do is let the garbage man take it away. Some people try to give the chips to people that have livestock. Walnut is bad for horses hoofs. Some of the exotics could kill guinea pigs or mice/rats because they can be allergic. If you only use maple or oak the chips are ok for animals but if it is mixed with others throw it away. I burn mine but it takes a long time to burn and I put a fan in front of the burn bin to make it burn completely. I also stir it every hour or two to get a complete burn. Do not put wood chips piled up on a wood fence. A friend found out that on a hot summer day the chips can catch fire. His chip collection caught his wooden fence on fire and came home to the fire department spraying his fence. Plus dumping the chips outside attracts animals and bugs.

4 Likes

ORdo like this guy in Croatia did. He takes his sawdust and mixes it with water and shreds all his newspapers, junk mail, collections warnings, tax bills and phone books and mixes it all to a smooth “glop”. He presses the mixture into “briquettes” and heats his home all winter long.

2 Likes

Waiting for some epoxy to cure, and I happened to receive the QS18VP6D Banner sensor I had ordered when you posted about it, so I tested it. 17$ off eBay, no idea whether it’s the real deal or a clone, it did come in a Banner box though. I will connect one green LED to the inverted output and one yellow led + a buzzer to the non-inverted output

Now to 3D-print a box for this thing, and tune the sensivity potentiometer once it’s installed in my bin’s lid.
Anyway just wanted to say thank you for the tip.

1 Like

But then again, why go for a 5mm LED when you can you go for a giant strobe light instead

Waiting for a buzzer to come in, and then I’ll have completed the “heart attack dust bucket alarm”.

6 Likes

You could get it to play a KRS-One sample when the bin fills up just to finish off the effect;

6 Likes

You know you’re having a bad day when you run a toolpath that was supposed to come “really close to the machinable limits”, but you forgot you also have a door on your enclosure with a nice strudy locking mechanism, and a large dust shoe and hose to take into account. The door won, the dust shoe and steppers lost, the dust shoe got knocked off to the side its magnet attachements, and in the second it took to hit the E-stop, I managed to…MILL THE FRONT LENS OF MY DUST SHOE CAMERA :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

(melted plastic and shaved bristles for extra drama)

Anyway, I figured this belonged to the “Oops” thread.

7 Likes

:cry:

Did the person who balanced your collet nut drill the balancing holes with an AR15 on fully automatic?

And - you should be watching Le Mans like a good Frenchman, not machining stuff!

2 Likes

Assuming the video will be posted soon?

3 Likes

Probably so :slight_smile:
There’s a reason those spindles are cheap(er)…He seemed to have done a good job though, as far as I can tell from the absence of vibrations across the RPM range.

Since this was a boring MDF cut I did not bother recording the job…sigh.

Maybe not so boring after all…?
Bad news, too bad about the camera lens.
A fairly cheap camera that I use and like,
https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Handheld-Digital-Microscope-Pro/dp/B00CMJ1I08/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=celestron+microscope&qid=1600618088&sr=8-4

It’s not too shabby and produces a decent image. It also has a length/measure measuring program tool.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

When you forget to stow the mist nozzle, and it drips on your MDF… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m about due for some new slats! :laughing:

8 Likes

After the last time I surfaced my bed, I put a coat or two of clear lacquer on it. Soaks it up like a sponge.

1 Like

No pictures, but on my last job I took off the sweepy and set it on the machine bed to change the bit. When I continued the job I didn’t realize where I placed it was too close to the bit setter and collided with the spindle body losing all my Z steps as it tried to bit-set. Thankfully I was at a tool change and was able to re-initialize and kick off where I was.

1 Like

First Fusion 360 job and my right y axis stopped working.