Things I might make on my Shapeoko

I get a particular kick out of making practical “things”.

My latest is a drain grate. For this particular grate the concrete deck surrounding it has shifted over the decades, distorting the hole. So, finally, the other day I said to myself “I can make a new one”.

I took a pic of the hole , imported it into Fusion, scaled it and traced its outline with splines. Filled in the grate pattern and extruded it. (After confirming the fit with print of a 3mm slice.)

Now you’re asking, so, where is the Shapeoko work? I did say “might make” in the title. Anyway, the original drainage grates were brass on a plastic base. So, I’m now thinking I’ll add some screw holes to the model, spit it at, say 10mm thickness, work up some tool paths and cut a brass cap. Should be pretty simple and unique I think.

Stay tuned.

7 Likes

You created a practical object. I make a lot of shop utility stuff. As far as a brass cover I would just leave it as is. Brass discolors over time no matter what coatings you put on it. As long as the black is a good color just leave well enough along. The only other consideration is how much water that drain hole gets. A plastic one might float out and away. If you could secure it with screws and/or glue it would be a permanent fix. Should it ever fail you could just chisel it out and print/machine another one. You never know if a patio chair placed in the wrong place could break the drain cover.