Thinking about getting a Pro XL what other kit do I need?

I am not familiar with the Pro model foot mounting but on my Shapeoko 3 XXL I put down 3/4" foam insulation. At the time the 4x8’ sheet was about $12.00. I removed my screw on feet and placed the Shapeoko right on top of the foam sheet that was cut to the exact outside dimensions of the Shapeoko 3XXL frame.

The Shapeoko 3 XXL has a tendency to bow in the middle support. Again not familiar with the Pro under carriage but the foam insulation stabilized my XXL and prevented the sag in the center of the SO3 XXL.

The foam is easy to cut with a razor knife, just be careful and be neat. If you have a dull blade you will get tearout and makes your foam edges unsightly. Remember you will see those edges every time you use your Shapeoko.

Additionally I built a torsion box to go under my Shapeoko and foam. Attached are my instructions for building. It is not a direct relationship for the Pro but if interested in making a torsion box it may help you get some ideas.

torsion_box.pdf (2.0 MB)

I dugout my old Dell Inspiron Mini 10, but found it would be challenging to upgrade beyond the win7 I’ve got on it now.
I see some folks are running the Fusion5 windows tablet for Carbide Motion. (I’ll do design stuff on my laptop inside the house with the bigger monitor). Is the Fusion5 a good option? If so which version (there seems to be several… S1, S2 etc)?

John

Folks seem to like the Fusion 5 tablets — whichever model you get it needs to:

• have full Windows, or be able to be taken out of Windows S-mode
  • an Intel or AMD processor

Ideally it would meet all the system requirements:

but memory in particular seems something which can be skimped on so long as CM is the only program running.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 (used to use a Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10, which I should really haul out and test)

It doesnt take much horsepower to only run CM. If you are in t he US take a trip over to Walmart and in the electronics section they have some reasonably priced laptops. Pay attention if they came with Windows 10 or 11 because there are some that still offer 10. Now if you like tablets then a tablet that meets the requirements of CM would be good. Personally I like a keyboard and not a virtual one. The more you touch the screen the more you have to clean it. Over time on a touchscreen you get buggers and other foreign material that can impair the touch screen functionality. Plus if you use the tablet to read while eating you take the chance of getting food and drinks on it. Again meaning you need to clean it regularly. For my Android phone I got a case and screen cover to help protect it from accidents. So similarly as case for a tablet would seem important.

In my shop I have a portable table that I place my laptop on when I am operating my Shapeoko. The table is adjustable for height and I use the table to prop my feet on when reading magazines or just sitting and pondering life while in the shop. For a tablet you would need to make a stand to put the tablet on. So for me personally a cheap laptop would be better because not only do I have a full powered laptop as a backup to my primary I get the keyboard and stability of a laptop sitting on a table.

Just a few things to consider.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.