Thinking about ordering shapeoko 5 pro

I’m about order the Shapeoko 5 pro for sign making. I also was wondering if this machine is suitable for 3d carving of family pictures? For these two purposes is this the right machine for the job? Thx

Yes, any of our machines should be able to do such 3D work — the SO5 Pro would be faster at it and able to do larger work — but making the files for this is a separate issue.

What software are you planning to use for making the 3D files?

I don’t yet. I’m brand new at this. I’ve done woodworking as a hobby for years and am now ready to try the cnc. I really don’t know anything about it, other than the few videos I’ve watched, so I can’t answer that. I’m ordering the shapeoko 5 pro tomorrow and am trying to gather as much info as possible. I just know I’ve seen the 3d wood carvings that stand out, and was wanting to make sure I’m on the right track before I spend the money.

The Carbide Create is free with an option to upgrade to Pro version. The pro version is identical to the free version except it allows 3d work. The Pro upgrade is useful but is not as robust as some other commercial software. Many people use Fusion 360 with a free license for hobbyist but is limiting in the number of tool path you can generate into a single file. Plus it is cloud based. Vetric is another CAD/CAM software a lot of user use. It is quite robust and depending on the size of the machine the desktop version is limited to 24" x 24". The next verison up will let you cut the maximum of an SO5. The good thing about Vetric is you can start with desktop and upgrade to the next level by only paying the difference in versions and not have to pay all over again. The top of the line is Aspire and is very robust but also very expensive. There are others like Carveco and a few others. If you are computer/software literate there are free ones like FreeCAD and a bunch of others.

Like you I have been a woodworker for almost 50 years. I got my Shapeoko and it just took over for a while. Now I am back to a hybrid approach with traditional and cnc work.

I will tell you honestly there is a very steep learning curve. It is not insurmountable but it is steep. It will require you to spend some time learning the computer programs and time to learn the procedures for using the SO5. Everyone goes through the learning process but it time consuming. Almost everyone on this forum had to learn and almost all have learned the lessons. Plus here on the forum we have super duper experts to novices and they all help people. This forum is technically social media but is family friendly. People are welcoming and helpful and I have not seen a bunch of snarky comments. The forum is moderated but most people are self moderating and encouraging and helpful.

Good luck with your cnc journey. A journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step. (Confucius)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.