Thinking of adding a laser to your Shapeoko?

Here is an easy-to-follow instruction video for adding a J Tech Photonics laser to an already existing Shapeoko Pro CNC.

J Tech Photonics instruction video link.

If I can do it anyone can.

Still testing. Still Learning.

Lightburn Compatible.

This is so cool, I’m really excited.

4 Likes

Thanks for this. I have been thinking about a laser. The main concern I’ve had is the ventilation on a CNC. Most dedicated lasers have an inclosure. Though I do know that there are some tent type enclosures you can buy.

The laser I have is a 4.2 at the most so far it smells like a wood burning tool when being used. Nothing offensive. I have only used it on wood so far.

There are fume extractors on Amazon varying from $30 and up. I’d guess one with a directional hose may do better for me when I chose another material maybe.

Be very carefully if you laser something other then wood. Vinyl is very corrosive and the fumes can be deadly. Just to let you know do some investigating before burning something other then wood.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why anyone would want to use vinal in the first place, but thank for the advice.

You may be suprised. I engraved some coasters made from left over flooring not thinking it was vinyl and rusted the bottom side of my router. Not to mention me coughing it up for a week. And that was in warm weather with the garage door open. Just trying to put it out there that the unknown is out there and to be careful.

5 Likes

I know we all get tired of hearing safety stuff, but burning wood is harmful as well. Campfires and and grills are outdoors and infrequent. I would never run a laser without good ventilation.

3 Likes

I definitely agree with Neil. There’s a lot of harmful fumes in wood. Especially exotic woods and treated woods.

And accidents happen within 10 miles from home.
Life in general can be hazardous to one’s health.
Be aware of your surroundings.
Safety, safety, safety!

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.