Third-party VFD spindle won't spin up at all

1st thing I noticed is that you haven’t installed a ground wire from the spindle to the vfd to electrical ground. Mine would not run without it. I also bought a 4 conductor shielded cable from the vfd to the spindle. My controller kept failing until I installed the shielded cable.

and you’ve changed the value of $30 to 24000? ($30=24000)

Yes, I have. And I’ve checked all the settings on the box as well.

Thanks, Phil. I’m not an electrician so you gotta speak English for me. What’s VFD?

Variable Frequency Drive.

Also, check if you have a VI/VR jumper on the VFD board, see pictures in this post/thread

This is a VFD:

Do you have a link to where you got it? It would be referred to (most likely) as a VFD in the documentation too.

(edit: I think you were joshing… You wrote VFD in the post title)

Yeah, I checked that too.

Mine (different model) didn’t work until I modified the setting that disables speed control using the knob on the front panel and enables speed control via the analogue input.

Additionally, mine required a daughter board to be attached that converted the Carbide3D control board’s PWM output into a true analogue signal (0-10v too).

Links to the model number might help others determine if these sorts of things apply here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HRTBZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P.S. (My title was edited after I posted. Don’t know why.)

Thanks for the link! If you search for HY01D511B on this forum you’ll see a few other people discussing their setup with this model. Might be worth a read?

One thing to check (if you haven’t) is that the spindle starts up at all - either with the knob, or by applying 5v to the relevant input.

Also maybe review how you’ve connected it to the C3D board… did you wire up a plug for the BitRunner socket or wire it to the PWM pins on the board itself?

The title edit was probably to remove possible confusion with C3D’s just release spindle?

They probably edited it to clarify that it was not a spindle, or router motor that is sold by Carbide 3D. Your original title was pretty vague.

Reset the VFD to Manual Mode. Spindle responds to Run, Stop, and RPM Dial at a very low RPM.

I forgot to ask how you are testing starting and stopping the spindle from your computer. Are you using Carbide Motion?

What GCode command are you issuing to start up the spindle?

Afraid I don’t know anything about Gcodes. I save the Gcode in Create and it runs in Motion. That’s the limit of my expertise. But to test the spindle I go to JOG and turn on spindle from there. Speed control wires coming from Control Board to the VFD reads 0.5V when switched on, and zero V when switched off. So a little power is coming from somewhere. Been told it should be 5V not 0.5V.

Turning the spindle on from JOG only works for a BitRunner or for a Nomad. It (at least in the past) set a speed that is too slow for the spindle (below its minimum run speed).

You have to test it using the MDI console and sending GCode commands.

(edit: I know it’s a pain but you probably need to consider telling people what you’ve done and are doing up front so they don’t have to interrogate you so much)

(so you don’t need to search, go to the MDI screen and type M3S10000 to turn it on at 10000RPM, and M5 to turn it off)

1 Like

@Gerry is spot on. The spindle on/off in CM is not yet updated (last time I checked) to do more than 1000RPM (which is consistent with $30 default value, but NOT with $30 modified to 24000 as you probably did)

That said, if you run any gcode as an air job, it should work, if you don’t like playing with the MDI

I’m gonna go try this. FYI…I’m kinda new to the whole troubleshooting process. I don’t know what actions I have taken that are relevant to my case.

1 Like

Tried the MDI trick as per Gerry. Still no spindle activity.
Ran an air-job. Spindle carriage went thru the motions but still no spindle.

With the VFD unplugged, but the Shapeoko turned on and sending M3S24000 command, can you check the voltage at the VFD terminals between PWM and GND ? It should be close to 5V after M3, and close to 0V after M5.

If this is not the case, somehow the PWM signal does not make it from the Shapeoko controller to the VFD input (wiring issue somewhere between the Shapeoko and the VFD). Like @Gerry said maybe tell us where you picked up the PWM on the Shapeoko controller side too.

If the PWM signal does make it to the VFD, and the VI/VR jumper is on “VI” position, then it’s a VFD setting issue (especially considering the VFD does work in manual mode)…I’m afraid you would have to review them again (sometimes, doing a factory reset and re-applying the chances is a go thing rule out the case where you would have modified a parameter that you shouldn’t and then forgot about it) or list the values you used here, for someone to (hopefully) spot an incorrect value.