Thought my "Freezing" issue was fixed

Ok, so I was having issues with CC freezing up on me. I had played around with V7 beta and thought that was the issue. Uninstalled 7 and went back to 652. Still had issues. Took my laptop in and had it gone through. There were some issues with drivers and firmware but the guy straightened everything out. CC worked fine for a couple days and now its freezing up. Trying to draw a polyline and after about 60-90 seconds, it freezes up again. I’m not having any problems using any other sites. My Carbide 3d works fine, browsing works fine, etc. It’s only in CC.

I don’t suppose anyone has any ideas do they?

What are you cutting when this happens?

I have “Grounded” the machine from Static. When I did, my issues with software performance “freezing” stopped.

Here is a link
Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

Could you send a video showing this problem in to support@carbide3d.com?

Also, it will help if you will go to the Start menu, type “msinfo” and run the System Information tool and save the output from that as a text file using your last and first name and send that to support as well.

I tried sending a video but it won’t let me attach it. It says the file is too big. I did send in pictures of the system info though.

Kelly,

I occasionally have files that are too big for the forum. When this happens I have google drive and I upload the file to google and make it linkable to anyone that has the link. You upload the file, click on the file and give permission to anyone with the link. You then copy the link and insert it in the post with the CTRL V. At least on a Windows system. Not sure how you do it with a MAC.

I was sending it to support via email. I don’t know how to do screen captures and all that other stuff. The whole computer thing is like a foreign language to me. My limitations are pretty much turning it on and using email, amazon and youtube. Lol

Sent some suggestions via support — hopefully we can work through this w/ you via e-mail

1 Like

I’ve been told to reboot, shut down, etc over and over. It’s been uninstalled and reinstalled. I’m just done with it. I’ve spent the last month and a half being stressed over one problem or the other, spending every day after work and every Sat and Sun getting absolutely nowhere. All wasted time that I’ll never get back. It’s not worth the stress. The big paperweight can sit out there and rust.

Kelly

I have had issues like this when dealing with lines and some shapes while joining vector points. You didn’t state if this happened when you were drawing zoomed in nearly 100% and trying to connect vectors. What I found was the issue shows up when I have the project zoomed in all the way. Every movement I make with the line or the shape takes a really long time to process at full zoom. Even saving the project takes a long time at full zoom. My work around for this was to save the project before making the move and do it in several steps before I zoomed in all the way to connect or edit the points I needed connected. This worked most of the time but the operation was still slow.

In B7 I did have the same issue.

Hope this helps
Anthony

1 Like

It doesn’t just happen when drawing. I can open a file just to look at the tool paths and while clicking from design to toolpaths it may freeze, or if i try to highlight the outline it may highlight but then freeze up. It just does it when it wants to. Sometimes 30 seconds after going into CC, sometimes 3 minutes. It doesn’t last long enough for me to draw anything, edit anything or even go through and view anything. I haven’t issues with any other sites or when browsing images, etc. I’ve uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I installed it on my fiance’s laptop and no problems. It’s just strange that CC is the only program I have problems with on mine.

Problem is looking to be solved. Had to remove and reinstall windows 10. Must have been something corrupted in it. I reinstalled it then reinstalled CC 652. Went into CC and just kept loading vectors on the grid. Loaded about 30 of them without freezing up. Keeping my fingers crossed. Going to go back in and make sure.

There has never a more defective product in the history of man than Microsoft Windows. Yet it is the standard of the world. Everytime they take a step forward they make me take two steps back.

I just bought a new laptop that is Windows 11 Pro. Trying to get it set up to take over my windows 10. For about a year my current laptop when booted up will run the drive at 100 Percent for 45-60 minutes. I cannot use the computer for the first hour after booting. I just put my computer to sleep but sometimes it just has a mind of its own, I intend on replacing t he internal hard drive with an ssd and reload win 10. That takes several days to do including the restore of my files. Not look forward to it. I have researched the problem and cannot find an answer. The task manager just says System and disk is running 100%. I have turned off indexing, optimized the disk ran utilities, removed unnecessary startup applications. I am quite experienced with Windows, Solaris, Mac OS and Linux, as well as a certified Solaris Administrator and A+ certified on Mac so I am no nubie. I have installed literally thousands of systems over my career everything from Floppy disks, CDROM, DVD and network jumtstarts. Windows is very frustrating.

Usually when you have an application problem and no one else is having the problem it is usually localized to your machine. I have 45 years of experience troubleshooting hardware and software issues and have found that if everyone is experiencing the problem it is the application. If you are the only or nearly the only one it is localized to your machine. Most people dont like to hear that but in my long experience it is usually true. Unfortunately for you it lead to major frustration. Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here.

I went through and started reconfiguring some of the files that I was trying to do before. Went well without any freeze ups. The worst part of all of this is that having such a huge lack of knowledge about computers, it’s hard to give anyone a good understanding of the issues you’re having. I’m a guy that still does math on paper with a pen. Don’t even like calculators. So yes, the frustration got pretty bad. Hopefully it’s smoother from here. Thanks for the insight. It’s always appreciated.

1 Like

No one is born with the knowledge to use a computer or our cnc machines. The only way to learn is to do it. Yea it is frustrating and sometimes painful but each time you have a problem you learn a little more.

This is abnormal. Booting should be under 20 seconds and you should be good to go in a minute. If you’ve things like Norton installed you might have this behaviour since it’s awful.

For your SSD, you should consider cloning your hard disk to it. Samsung and others provide a utility to do this. Takes an hour or so and you end up with an identical system.

Jerry,

I changed the boot and shut options to completely unload the kernel when shutting down. This has helped because after loading a new kernel each time I boot I just put my system to sleep. I know it is not normal but until I get my new system working that is my work around. I have a lot of experience with PC and other systems and cannot find the problem.

The default when you shut down windows is they shutdown the apps but the kernel state is saved and on power on the same kernel state is reloaded into memory. I changed that hopping that if something was wrong with the kernel that a new load of it would fix it.

So I very seldom shut down my system I just put it to sleep. However there are times you have to reset and/or shutdown.

Well, I believe success has finally been achieved. After removing Norton, removing my OS and reinstalling it…I was able to use CC for hours without a freeze up. Now that I’m not pulling my hair out, chewing Tums like candy and that vein in the side of my head has subsided…I’m going to get up and go fishing in the morning. A little more R&R before I get back at it tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who offered up advice, possible solutions and words to talk me off the ledge. Lol. Have a good night everyone.

2 Likes

Now that’s a plan, think I’ll do the same Monday morning. Remember, every fish has a name - one, two, three, etc…

Your getting to be quite a techie. Glad you got the issue resolved. I had a computer a few years ago with Norton that was causing issues. I use Trend Micro Maximum Security on all my computers and love it.