Thoughts on a Plastic Injection Molded Dust Boot Vs 3d Printed

I see alot of down time for the Manufacturers of the Dust boots… Would there be a need for a company that utilizes Plastic Injection molding that could really crank these things out as needed? Think 1 week ship time vs a month or more. Would anyone like this option or do you mind waiting for 3D printed parts? I work with a local company that produces products with injection molding to companies all over the US. But before investing in the time/money on machining molds I just want to see your thoughts, to see if it even makes sense to attempt.

It would be a neat option — the up-front tooling expense is probably prohibitive though.

On the flip side, that’s the technique used for the

but on the gripping hand, there are a lot fewer small CNC machines than there are shop vacs.

Seems kind of odd to me that with a machine intended to make things folks often resort to buying dust shoes, and they don’t even have the chicken-egg problem of work-holding. I’ve done a couple of designs, but have to admit that I’m currently using a 3D printed design — I have a sheet of clear plastic I salvaged out of a dumpster at work I should clean up and try cutting for for a new design and I have a couple of half-cut dust shoes I really should finish up.

I think the big problem are the variables:

• router model — DeWalt or Carbide Compact Router/Makita
  • vacuum hose size — I’m using a Festool CT Midi with the stock hose connected by a 1" clear tube which I doubt anyone else is doing
  • preferences on where the vacuum exits — most folks do at the front which I mislike since it doesn’t work well when cutting at the overhang, to the side is hard to manage w/o reducing travel, and the rear is problematic when dealing with the two options of either SO3 w/ electronics in the way, or XL/XXL with only the wiring to move past

Also, there’s supposed to be an official Carbide 3D dust shoe in development, but not sure what the status is on that — @edwardrford ?

2 Likes

I would suggest for the router variable, go with say the 80mm diameter for stock shoe and offer inserts to offset the diameter of the smaller routers as needed ( they could be rubber and act as a seal). Include the 65mm insert for the stock router. Thoughts on this?

The vacuum would make sense to exit completely vertical as not to create restricting bends that aren’t necessary. Using a standard size exhaust port for shop vacs would be 2", users can use readily available size adapters for hoses already made to suit their needs or some can be designed specifically for the shoe. Have an optional port accessory that can rotate in the main exit to change to any rotation maybe available in a 45* and 90* configurment would allow users to change to their desired exit direction with ease.

That would be great if CB3D is working on something

1 Like

If the price point was the same or better, I think there would be a market. Once you get into higher prices, most Makers are probably better off buying a cheap 3D printer. You can get several dust boots from a $20 spool of plastic.

2 Likes

Rather than an adapter which complicates things, why not have the hose connection be a removable part? Include a version for each possible size — the prototype Reality 3DP I have is set up that way.

1 Like

Think you’d be better off by starting with resin casting. Making a silicon mold will be significantly cheaper than steel or aluminum mold.You’re looking at at least couple thousands dollars in tooling alone. Was planning to have some parts manufactured for injection molding and tooling was so expensive that I simply couldn’t justify the expense so 3d printed my product, made a silicon mold, and was able to manufacture them myself.
This method is much quicker then 3d printing and parts are much stronger. Depending on the resin you’ll use your parts can be ready between approximately 30min to 2hrs which is still way quicker than printing and it’s a great way to test if there’s a market for your product without breaking the bank.

4 Likes

The company has some pretty big clients, Dies are tooled in house, so I don’t think thats an issue. Made dies that never reached production just to produce a few samples. If the need was there and a certain company wanted to make it a reality that’s where I would step in. I have other projects that need my focus and just saw a need.

1 Like

If I were doing this myself that’s totally how I would approach it… a few hours cure time is much better than the countless hours a 3d printer would take. And to increase production you could just pour more molds, Used to make molds for custom action figure mashups

2 Likes