Thread Milling (in Metal) on the Shapeoko (3)

I did a bit of research and ended up importing it directly from the manufacturer. One has to be a tad careful - there are a lot of spindle manufacturers, but only a handful that really know what they are doing, or care much about the product.

Here is a link to their store on Aliexpress - it’s not exactly the same model that I bought:

The company that owns Aliexpress has the same thing but on a grander scale (called Taobao or Tmall) - and is entirely in Chinese. On Tmall, the Zhenyu company’s shop is much more extensive - here is the link to my exact unit:

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.15-b-s.w4011-18212667385.73.125f34b0VAiWFI&id=554779598891&rn=7036db704b17778bfcba33d923cae054&abbucket=17&skuId=3418826512660

To look at Tmall links - I use Chrome, and turn on auto-translate to help make sense of it all.

If interested, its easy to communicate with the sales department at Zhenyu in english - and I just arranged them to send me the unit directly from China, had it in a couple of days.

I have no connection to this company - just a happy customer.

Re the software question: I use Estlcam to generate my threading G-code (and a lot of other stuff). It’s cheapish at $59 USD. Can’t recommend it highly enough!!

https://www.estlcam.de/

Check out his trochoidal milling video:

Or his thread milling video:

I really like how I can chamfer using the same plain endmill after I do a helical drilling op.

Again, no connection to Estlcam, but I really recommend it.

3 Likes

Wow, cool, thanks for the spindle recommendation. I will keep that handy for when I want to buy one. You need to buy the spindle, frequency converter, and more, right? What was your whole bundle you bought? I wanted to know where you got your threadmills too.

Yes I bought everything I needed from Zhenyu - spindle motor, variable frequency drive, water pump, tubing, ER20 collets and nuts, dust collection head, and probably other things I’ve forgotten!

The thread mills - I sourced them from China as well - from this place:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-15172752661.21.3b8d7af5mmmqdR&id=573884603794

That shop has a bunch of thread mills - that link above is for those designed to cut Aluminium. They have others for steel. Mine is made from tungsten carbide - not sure what would happen to it if you tried it on steel.

I can confirm that if the cutter runs into a clamp or other obstruction in the way - they promptly snap in half and may result in colourful language being said.

1 Like

@RichCournoyer you sir, I owe a drink to. Wouldn’t have been able to finish these parts without copying your tap hack!

Using your method, turned a 1/4-28 into a single flute threadmill and successfully completed 3/8-32 without issues. Mine is far, faaarr uglier but function over form right.

5 Likes

I will look forward to that drink…and I am glad that my shared knowledge was helpful!

3 Likes

Some 3/4"-12 UNS Thread Milling to make a Dremel Lather Adapter…I need to have the ability to ID/OD Grind on my Lathe.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMiH686jrmz/

Still making my own Thread Mills. This one is from an old HSS 3/8 End Mill.

Total 12 cuts (including one spring pass)

Finish Product:

9 Likes

I have my on the JointMaker Pro.

1 Like

What sort of RPM is the spindle run at to plunge the bit through the thread?

Standard Makita TR0700 Router set at its lowest speed (~11k) since I am using an unbalanced tool.

1 Like

resuscitation…Odd choice of word…so perhaps I don’t completely understand your concern/question.

Now on to the next part of your comment. First time when I Thread Milled on the Shapeoko I made the cutter from an old 1/4-20 Tap. As I explained it is VERY easy to make since all you are doing is removing (grinding) away the other tap’s teeth. No special tools or skills needed.

Next, as a Shapeoko Owner, I’m fairly certain that you own some type of grinder (Bench, Angle, Dremel) and ANY of these will work. So come on and give it a try.

Lastly, I often attempt to educate the general public that Carbide is Carbide to a Shapeoko Owner. There ARE slight differences, but they don’t make ANY difference to a Hobby CNC. Trust me, I’m a scientist and have NO reason to lie to you. So having addressed that point again, Chinese Thread Mills (in the $30) range are available on the Web (eBay, AliExpress, etc), so these will work just fine.

(Math)
3/16" Collet = 0.1875 Diameter
M6 Cutter = 0.236
An M6 tool will NOT fit into a 3/16 collet.

Be careful, and be Safe.

1 Like

Back to your original (old) comment…

Next thread (today) was a for a 3/4-12-UNS (S stand for Special, Although I have another choice word) Really makes me an unhappy person when a company picks a SPECIAL thread on their product. Brown & Sharpe was famous for doing that…you know when they actually MADE stuff in Providence, RI.

It’s the threads on the Nose of a Dremel Grinder. Taps are available from China for $20 (ish) dollars and 2 month (on average during this Rona Pandemic) wait, OR $118 at MSC. Since I only need to thread one part…a thread mill operation make good sense…don’t you agree Luke?

2 Likes

Oh how far I’ve come…

I’m pretty sure you were the cause of this…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrxQ1inAqxI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

3 Likes

Rogue Systems Inc. is a great source for carbide endmills. They have threadmills too at very reasonable prices. Carbide Tool Source | eBay Stores

4 Likes

So, I’m going to be giving this a whirl…

As Rich mentioned, there are different fits for specific applications. I’m looking to thread mill an aluminum waste board, should I just choose a nominal minor diameter size to shoot for? A random chart I pulled up for a 1/4-20 minor diameter lists .208-.218" as the min/max. When I use the hole creator in F360 it creates a hole with a diameter of .202" for 1/4-20.

right around 0.200 is the correct ID before threadmilling 1/4-20

2 Likes

Thanks, Vince! I’ll shoot for that then.

I’ll be curious to see how yours turn out. All the threads I have made have faceting on the surfaces, no matter how big or small my stepover is and no matter how fast or slow I go. They are work, they’re just not as pretty as I want them to be.

3 Likes

Yeah I need to set some time and material aside to practice before I let the SO3 loose on a few hundred holes. Hopefully get around to practicing this week/weekend.

1 Like

sounds like I should run some 1/4-20s in the Pro and see how they come out.

6 Likes

Be curious to see results from the HDM too.

3 Likes