Tiger claw issues

1 of 4 tigers claws, the rest are fine, i have not greased them but should bot be an issue as.i dont want them to come undone during operation.

Used an allen key that was provided with my.pro machine to tighten, all was good.

All the other 3 come loose, this one would not come undone to the point where the same allen key i used broke trying to undo it… im suspecting a burr or stretching in the thread as it would unturn 2 turns and jam up…

The result was a broken allen key and the screw eventually snapped and the thread is jammed inside the clamp… i wont be able to drill it and reverse tap it as it is tight enough that my impact drillbit (i have hardened black sockets in allen keys) had to be used on a breaker bar with 10 seconds of crc freeze and release lubricant spray… i use this on alsorts and it works… that thread is jammed in there.

No it wasnt cross threaded as i use my fingers to put them in rolling my finger on the allen key real quick…

My thoughts are stretched/compressed thread or machining error.

Theres no way i could weld a tack using my mig welder and copper pipe. Its tight…

Kinda pissed because its almost new was happy to finally start using them.

If anyone has any idea to fix it that would be great.
Or maybe some reliable alternatives…

Write in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll replace the faulty ones.

1 Like

No fix, but a little anti-seize would help on bolts that want to fudge up once in a while. If I have a bolt that will not come out (years of knuckle-busting in automotive) I go in, go out, go in, out, and hopefully it will eventually come out.

If you use this wipe on threads and insert the bolt, wipe the area clean.

@WillAdams Do you agree?

Just got this image to show.

Good Luck

1 Like

I think it is just defective and you can get it replaced if you bought it from C3D. As you said it is a tight place the cost to fix is worth more in your time than the piece is worth. C3D has a no fault policy on problems and you should be able to get it replaced no problem. In the meantime maybe you can use something else to hold your work. Stainless is very hard but brittle and you can gaul the threads pretty easy. Stainless steel with a stainless steel bolt can be problematic. Maybe replace your screws with carbon steel. The carbon will give up before the stainless steel.

I looked at the C3D site and they dont say they are SS but I put a magnet on both the Tiger Claw and the GaterTooth and the magnet did not stick so pretty sure they are SS.

1 Like

Yeah i use crc freeze and release, it freezes the bolt, regardless of what state it in and the lubrication is instant.

We use it for rusted bolts on exhausts etc, i have the permatex, problem with lubrication on jaws with cnc work is they can move, i do 24-40hr cuts… so it can definitely come loose…

My other cnc mill has a helical pinion design clamp, but im unable fix it to the shapeoko due to height clearance.

I dont even think hitting it with a blow torch will loosen it… it worked it backwards and forwards witj lubricant slowly with a breaker bar… clear indication its going nowhere. Dont want to use my reverse bits as they cost more than the clamp.

1 Like

I’ll use 12.9 grade bolts after this…

The clamps are great, they pull the wood down as they clamp which is great…

Just sent a message through

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.