Tiling this .c2d on shapeoko xxl help please!

Ok. This is what I came up with. Is this correct? How do I get it to go between the letters but not cut them off individually? And what do I do with those circles I made? This is the backer for each individual letter that I need to cut…MYTRYSAK.c2d (108.6 KB)

I’m not exactly sure what you are looking for. Do you want a flat plate that outlines all of the letters?

This was made with a polyline using the nodes for the outside corners of the M and K as well as the top and bottom of the S (which is a bit larger than the slope between the other letters). What you see here is an offset path outside by 0.1". There a many different options depending on the look you want to achieve. I haven’t done any tiling my machine is against the wall in the back so pass thru isn’t an option in my current space.

No. What I need is a complete backer for the letters that I will cutout individually. But I need it to cutout the center of the “A” and “R” and to go around each letter but keep it complete.

Alright, perhaps this will help. I have toolpaths saved in the file as well. file-1 is the first part and contains the wasteboard operation to cut the holes into and the first tile operation. So you’d run the first tool path on that file on your wasteboard zeroed to the front left corner of the shapeoko. The only zero you’d need to change is after this toolpath, setting a new z height.for the cutout material.
Not sure how large the stock is (or what material is) that you are cutting the backer sign out of but you can plug those values in. Put the stock on the wasteboard hopefully positioned close to where you put the pocket holes into your wasteboard. I find it easier to buy bigger stock than I need and cut out the object from that bigger stock. filename-1 toolpath group 2 should have everything you need to pocket the letters, and also cut out the backer sign.
filename-2 should have holes near where the y will be. Use a 1/4 in dowel to position those holes near the back of the machine into the holes you made in the wasteboard, then run the operations in the part 2 group. That should be it for the backer board. The letters can be cut out individually from the machine. Though I recommend making them just slightly smaller, because getting exact size letters to fit in exact size holes is…challenging.
Hopefully this is clear enough to get you going. One thing you will have to watch for is the stock wasteboard sits lower than the steel frame on the shapeoko. I recommend making a riser out of MDF to get your part to sit above the steel frame. Also highly recommend blue tape and super glue method of work holding.

Then you’d hopefully have something that’s 1/4 inch around, like a dowel that you can put

If you haven’t yet I highly recommend checking out Carbide3d and Winston Moy’s youtube videos. Winston has an older getting started playlist here:

And a newer one on the carbide 3d channel:

Workholding video that can also be helpful:

It also might be helpful to just run the letters first to get to know the machine.

MYTRYSAK-2.c2d (123.8 KB) MYTRYSAK-1.c2d (131.0 KB)

2 Likes

To keep it complete there needs to be material connecting the letters. What does this look like? Do you want to have a rectangle across the bottom they all sit on or a more cartoony bubbles around the letters that blend together? Perhaps a sketch would help us visualize what you desire.

Are there two threads for this same project?!

This is what I need to do. This is the backer to which I will glue slightly smaller cutout letters to.MYTRYSAK-00.c2d (1.3 MB)

This is what I need. This is the backer board to which I will glue cut out letters to. MYTRYSAK-00.c2d (1.3 MB)

For that, you’ll need to likely duplicate the letter blob and cut it where the seam is. That way you pocket in the first area, then pocket in the second area.

I’m not looking to pocket. I need to cutout.

Added cut letter blob to the file. You should be able to select them (though they look overlapped with the letters by design.
If you are looking to cutout, then just change the operation?

MYTRYSAK-00.c2d (488.4 KB)

I can’t figure out how to get it tiled though.

To make it 2 files or operations

We can’t run the machine for you. Have you watched/read any of the docs/videos?

But going to the first file I posted, you’ll need to put holes in your wasteboard, those holes will be used to provide alignment to the stock for the second operation. Then you put stock on top of the holes, rezero your machine to the new height and run first pass. First pass should include making holes in the stock that are the same size as the holes made in wasteboard. Move the new holes to the existing holes in the wasteboard and use a dowel to keep the stock and the wasteboard aligned, then run the second batch of letters.

Yes I understand that. The file you just added would work but it’s cutting the straight lines through the R. That’s the same problem I’m having. getting those lines out of the R so it continues to the S without straight lines down through it.

The video for the Baltimore Ravens cutout is complete different software than what I’m using. There is nothing in that that CC can do from what I see.

You’ll need to setup tabs so that the letters are still attached to the stock. But this should be what you are looking for. Last 2 operations added to the file are doing an inside contour for the new object.
MYTRYSAK-00 (1).c2d (490.8 KB)

2 Likes

Hey again everyone. Still issues with getting this figured out. I’m not experienced with Inkscape.

The “M” is 9.35” from top left corner to bottom left corner. The “K” is 6.25” from top right corner to bottom right corner. Total length is 47.677”. I need to cutout each letter individually, but need a backer that is slightly larger and NOT cut individually, meaning it’s gonna need to be 47.677” long and the shapeoko xxl only carves 32”. Is this going to be possible?

Please, any insight or help figuring this out to an SVG would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you have free access to either the sides of the back of your machine, you can use the “tiling” technique to cut arbitrarily long stock pieces. Check out the wiki : https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Fabrication_Techniques_%26_Hardware#Tiling

3 Likes

I have heard about tiling. How do I go about getting the “M” (and all the other letters) shorter on one side? And how do I get the 9.35” in carbide create? So it’s cutting the size I need.