Tip Diameter for #501, #502 Vee bits

After noticing that my #501 v-bits were cutting a little bit too deep when doing chamfer operations, I realized that the #501 and #502 cutters have a rounded tip. Because most tool libraries assume the cutters have a sharp tip, this can cause Fusion 360 to calculate the cutting depth incorrectly for some operations.

To correct for this discrepancy, you can specify a Tip Diameter to approximate the rounded tip in Fusion360:

• #501 Tip Diameter: 0.00288 in
  • #502 Tip Diameter: 0.00175 in

Calculated by sketching this out in Fusion 360, lol

Hope this helps anyone else who’ve come across this issue.

1 Like

You have to look at vee bits you buy 3rd party very carefully under a magnifying glass to make sure they have a sharp tip. Many times they dont. Plus it is easy to break off the tops when dropping the bits or just general wear and tear. If you have a magnifying glass inspect all vee bits to see if they actually have a sharp or rounded point.

Good research about the distance to subtract to get the actual depth you want. You are not the first person to come to this realization about round nose vee bits. It has bit a lot of people.

3 Likes

Yeah, now I know what to look for, heh. Wanted to get these numbers out there for folks in the future who have the same issue and haven’t gotten around to figuring out how to calculate the tip diameter themselves

1 Like

I see what you did there! :rofl:

3 Likes

Another benefit of this approach is that you can set the cutter up as a “Tapered Mill” in Fusion which allows you to use different toolpath types to “Engrave / Chamfer Mill” and “Countersink” cutter types.

4 Likes

Usual preface, I’m with PreciseBits so while I try to only post general information take everything I say with the understanding that I have a bias.

The “infinitely sharp” tool thing is a pet peeve of mine both in software and tooling. It’s literally impossible to make a tool with a “infinitely sharp” tip as even if the material and grinding wheels could somehow allow for it infinitely sharp is infinitely weak and that tip would last until a slight breeze hit it.

That aside…This gets into a whole bunch of complicated stuff related to how tools are defined and ground. As Liam said your best option is to define a tool with the features of the tool. So these would most likely be best defined as tapered ball-nose cutters with their half not included angles.

However, if you are defining them as a flat tipped engraving or tapered tool the simple version is subtract the width increase of the taper for the radius of the cutter. So in these cases:

Depth to width ratio: 1:11547

So 0.005" * 1.11547 gives us ~0.00577". Which we would subtract from the 0.010" giving us a projected flat diameter at the tip of the ball of 0.00423".

Depth to width ratio: 1:0.7279

So 0.0025 * 0.7279 gives us ~ 0.00182". Subtracting the 0.005" now gives us 0.00318" for the projected flat tip.

Those should work correctly for most software to most accuracy needs (depending on geometry, see below). However, as your drawing shows the actual meeting point of the ball is not at the radius. These can be calculated for but everyone does different things so you need to know the exact length of cut and exact diameter at that length of cut.

Edit. Forgot to subtract the lost distance from tipping the cone (I blame a lack of coffee)

As an example if I grind a presumed perfect cone at a 60° included angle, grind flutes with a 0.1078" cutting length to the edge of a 1/8" blank (60° from 0.1245" to “infinitely sharp”) , then add a 0.010" ball creating a new cutting length of ~0.1028". It will change the taper of the tool to ~60.7° instead of 60°, the diameter at the tangent will be 0.00863", and the diameter at the 0.005" from the tip will be 0.01159".

If we use the above we get a ratio of 1:1734 which works out to a projected flat tip diameter of 0.00413" if using the 0.0100 diameter or 0.00572" if using the true 0.01159".

End edit… Definitely not enough coffee today.

Alternatively, we could instead grind a tool that is 60° included angle finished which would be a cutting length of ~0.10416". This would result in a diameter at tangent of 0.00866 and 0.01155" 0.005" from the tip.

There’s a few other ways to do it too but these 2 are common. There’s also the issue of how CAM handles things.

I hope at least the first half of this is useful… Doubt the second half is. Let me know if there’s something I can help with.

6 Likes

These topics repeat themselves as you’ll find dozens of topics about angled bits and the trigonometry behind their mysterious issues.
Just throwing this in here again as I agree with:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.