Tolerances, Practicality and Template

I experimented with the cricut maker but the way in which it cuts paper it applies a different pressure/cutting action compared with a guillotine. The cut edges would emboss splaying the edge instead of it being clean

1 Like

We have a cricut and it does have trouble with some angles on certain materials.

Do you think you will achieve the same effect without the laminations? Solid blocks of wood might alter the overall effect.

Perhaps a laser and thin wood could work, as suggested.

1 Like

Because of the depth of cut you are trying to reach (70mm) and quantities you are making would still recommend taking a closer look at traditional carpentry tools. With proper jigs and setup, you can achieve very good tolerances and speed on repeated parts like this. I love my CNC but it isn’t always the best tool for mass quantities of simple and similar parts. You could use strips of wood to create your 1mm spacing and make your blocks very simple.

5 Likes

The concepts are a little different for these timber ones so ok for no laminations, cheers

Yeah man. I will begin with these methods cheers Nick. Strips of wood in one direction ok, in the other will be many to infill, unless they slot over like a mesh. i can always use some sort of spacer that is used in tiling (to space for grouting) glue in the cubes and square off as i go, and i can remove the spacer. removes the need for the relief / step in cube like you say to keep them simple.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.