Tomorrow is 2x4 5.1 Pro Set Up Day

Hi everyone! Looking forward to getting to know this community. I have several boxes sitting in my garage waiting for me to dig into and start assembling tomorrow. Going to be going through the tutorials, have about 6 hours allocated to getting up and running tomorrow. Any advice would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Give yourself more than 6 hours. Have fun !

3 Likes

Welcome!

Review the current assembly instructions:

If you don’t have PPE (hearing/eye protection) which you like, start buying and trying out good quality options until you find a set which you like and are willing to wear for long periods of time

If you don’t have a good quality shop vac/dust collector/extractor which you are willing to listen to for long periods of time, get a DeWalt Stealthsonic w/ at least a 2.5" input (a straight 2.5" hose will be much quieter than a tapered one)

A ratcheting tool or powered screwdriver will make assembly a bit less tedious (so long as the torque of said tool is such that it will not damage the soft aluminum and one is careful to start all threads squarely).

If you don’t have a decent set of calipers, consider getting some.

If you don’t have a good quality square to check squareness that may help.

If you don’t have a typical shop setup, tools for post-processing cut materials — a small razor saw, or saw blade for a utility knife is useful for cutting tabs, a deburring tool is excellent for metals and plastics, files may help make some edges look nicer, I use a chamfering plane on some edges, some folks use chisels and/or gouges to cut tabs and consider various tools for processing stock for cutting — just a hand saw (for breaking down stock), and a drill (for placing holes for workholding) will make things far more affordable.

Above all, remember that you can contact support@carbide3d.com if anything comes up, and don’t be afraid to try things, since we have a special warranty for just starting out.

2 Likes

Update! I didn’t get it all done, but I made it through the gantry setting and installations of the table legs. I was just taking it slow and careful. Will finish tomorrow after work!

So far so good on installation. There’s a couple of ambiguous things in the PDF, which I’ll share when I’m done (since the team here takes a lot of care to keep that doc updated).

Overall, very impressed with the operation Carbide 3D has going on! I’m a systems engineer, so I understand the logistics and everything that goes into something like this. Not a lot of companies take that kind of care (I won’t disparage any here, but man do I wanna!).

Looking forward to this relationship with Carbide 3D. <3

4 Likes

Exciting! I wonderful day indeed

  1. Buy a better set of wrenches for installing and removing the collet nut/bits. These are for the Trim router:
    Capri Tools 11850-1213 12 mm x 13 mm Super-Thin Open End Wrench, Metric - Amazon.com
    SK Tools USA 22MM, Short Pattern, 12 Point, SuperKrome® Combination Wrench | 88122 - Amazon.com

  2. Get some Colored Tape. I put colored Tape on my Allen Keys. The most common Allen key I use is for the Sweepy Dust Boot. Blue for Sweepy. Black for Work Holding.

  3. Get a dust Separator. Your Shop Vac filter will thank you.
    Amazon.com: Dustopper PRO Dust Collector - 99.9% Efficiency Cyclone Dust Separator | Low-Profile Dust Collection System with 90 Degree Elbows & Hose Shop Vac Attachments, Wet/Dry Shop Vacuums 5HP+, Made in USA : Industrial & Scientific

  4. Have Fun, be safe, keep all your fingers and toes away from the Machine. Wood or soft tissue, the machine can’t tell the difference.

3 Likes

Welcome.
Take your time and do it right.