Tool Entry in Carbide Create oopsies

Hi everyone! I’m brand new to the Shapeoko community, and I’m really loving learning how to use this awesome machine. My problem is, I accidentally overwrote the specs on the Carbide #201 router bit for softwood (instead of copying it to use for a new bit, I overwrote it in the “locked” library - it’s not locked for me, I have no idea why the Softwood is editable for me). I don’t fully understand if the 2D cutting parameters are still necessary (primarily how I’m using the bit), but I don’t know what they are anymore since I don’t have it in my tool library. Can someone tell me the following:

1. Are the Parameters still necessary for tools (whether they are Carbide, Amana, Freud, etc)
  2. What are the parameters for the Carbide #201? It’s a .25 endmill, but that’s all I remember.
  3. Is there somewhere online where those specs are listed?

Thank you all so much!

Hello PatternedChaos … (fascinating name)

Saving over the locked library officially makes you a hacker and as such the relevant agencies for whatever country you live in will be after you.

All that aside, my un-hacked copy of Carbide Create shows this for the #201 on Softwood:

As for your specific questions:

1. The tool library specifies the default parameters for your toolpath and is needed so you can select said default. You don’t need specs every material if you are able to adapt and adjust things manually.
  2. See above.
  3. Not sure.

(edit: only some parts of this message are serious)

2 Likes

Thank you! I am often impressed by my abilities. They’re so awesome that I don’t even know what I did or how I did it. Certainly I wouldn’t even try or be able to repeat it.

Meanwhile, I am really interested in figuring out how to easily share my tool database across devices. It certainly would help me be more productive.

1 Like

PS. My name comes from the fact that I’ve always said that I live my life in a state of patterned chaos. It works.

1 Like

See:

If you have any questions when trying to use the information in this write-up, @PatternedChaos, let me know - I’m the author from earlier this year, and I’ve been using it successfully for quite a while. Although, truth be told, I’ve been using Vectric software more than Carbide Create these days.

Thank you! I think I’m going to turn to this in a bit - I’m a bit overwhelmed on getting everything figured out, so I have to put this at least on my back-back burner, lol.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.