Toolpath Off Stock Edge

I have a toolpath that goes off the edge of my stock in two places, once on the left, once on the right. One place it cuts fine (right side), the other place it essentially skips this section of the path (left side). I suspect that maybe it’s because the center of the cutter is going off the stock? I’m sure there’s a way to manually work around this but is there some option I’m missing that would allow the cutter off the stock?

Toolpath gap:

Thanks,
Tom

I never use the stock size as my bounds for the actual stock. I make the stock size larger in the settings and then make a rectangle that is the actual size of my stock to work within. That way if I need to carve outside the stock size there is no issue.

How do you set your zero if there’s no stock on the machine in that position? Or are you setting it on some jig or something?

Most of my work is zeroed on the center but it can still work with a corner just don’t have the tool path going off an edge that is right along the edge of the machine stick. So if you use the bottom left as zero you can go off the edge on the top or right of the false material.

One thing I do is create the stock size bigger than what you have, as long as you have a piece that will be cut out.

I also have had the need to run a path outside the stock size, a line. No issues there.

Good luck.

1 Like

this is really weird; I cut inside and outside the work area all the time with no issues…

any chance you can share a portion of this as c2d file?

1 Like

Here is the c2d file… let me know if you see something I’m missing.

layer1.c2d (76 KB)

You’re tiling.

The tiling option limits cutting to w/in a tile, including at the sides.

You will need to increase the width of the stock in Carbide Create and adjust your stock placement (if it’s actually 12 inches wide) to account for the shift.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.