Toolpath Question

I’m trying to make a sign that has an angry gorilla face. The surrounding area is dug out with the face proud. The face has areas that should be pocketed somewhat to make it easier to show that it’s more than a round area. The image shows a tongue, teeth, eyes, hair.

How do I do the toolpath for it.

You could just cut it as a halftone:

Otherwise, you could play with the Threshold slider for Image Tracing:

and import each colour as a separate set of paths and assign toolpaths as desired.

If you have Carbide Create Pro you could then model things in 3D — but that would require a bit of tweaking on your part since there isn’t a natural mapping of light/dark to height/depth.

Too bad you cant assign height to colors

1 Like

Gorilla SVG
Here is a multi-color image trace. You’ll have to go through and separate out what you want.

2 Likes

Can’t you substitute grayscale for the colors to get the different heights by area like the folks doing topographic map carvings? Might even be able to blur the transition to smooth the heights out
(I have not done this, just wondering if it is one route to a 3D )

John

Perhaps you can.
My mind was actually thinking more of designating a height for a specific color(s).
So…
black = 0.2, purple = 0.15 and gray = .01
Then each of those colors has its own grey scale (clolor scale) based on its own shade and what you designated for height based on that color
You could assign parameters for each color etc

Same as grey scale stuff i imagine

I’ve started watching the videos for CC Pro and I’m thinking of doing the head using Pro but on a separate piece of wood to reduce machining time and then gluing to the sign. Thoughts?

Have you tried just converting it to grayscale image?

I Glady Transfer my carbide pro license to you if it helps, I don’t use it, is that possible mods?

would make me feel better if someone gets some use out of it, Think its good for like another 10 months or so.

What do you use and why?

V-Carve Pro (Vectric)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.