Topographic Map Advice

Started my 2nd attempt, and things are going well so far.

For the finishing pass I am going to use a tapered ball nose bit that @fenrus suggested.

I reduced the detail in the 3D model (it no longer has the city platforms or roads). I am adding that detail back via (non 3D) toolpaths after the finsihing pass is done.

I’m not sure when @robgrz added this feature, but being able to see the X,Y and especially the Z height in a 3D model REALLY made this possible. If you have not noticed that information down in the corner…

I am also going to stain the board between these two steps so that detail pops out more. Like what I did with the last topographic map.

3 Likes

Looking forward to see how this is turning out using the tapered ball nose.

I really like this as well. I find that it helps me visualize how the final product is going to turn out.

Status Update: Temporary Delay
With all of the complicated things that could have gone wrong, I just simply dropped my 1/16 down-cut bit and it broke against the garage floor :rage:

Up until that point, things were going great. The topographic carving is done, the board has been stained, some post stain details have been added… and now I wait for a replacement bit to arrive.

The 1/16 downcut will be used to add the roads, logo and about 200 small dots for landmarks.

6 Likes

Bummer about the bit :frowning:
But love that map
:+1:

Like an arrow to the knee.
Edit: I dropped the first 1/32" AND 1/16" bits I ever took out of the packaging to use, within minutes of each other. Felt like quite a monkey that day.

4 Likes

that is looking awesome already

1 Like

Wanted to share the final result. I am very happy, it has just the right amount of flaws.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice.
I now feel capable of making a couple topographic maps that I have as ideas for christmas presents.

6 Likes

This looks fantastic! And not just because I’m a Skyrim fanboy.

1 Like

this came out great!

from a pure selfish perspective: What is the biggest learning you think we should all know?
And is there anything in the software workflow that you wish was easier/better ?

1 Like

I learned a lot doing this project, hard to pick a single thing. Here are some random thoughts.

The feed rates I started with were roughly doubled by the time I was finished. This may be my biggest takeaway in terms of learning to use my Shapeoko.

This was my first big project on the Shapeoko, and I found several flaws/disappointments with my dust collection setup. At some point I will start another discussion with pics and measurements to discuss possible ways to improve my current setup.

I learned the phrase “rest machining”, it is something carbide create does not currently do, but now that I understand what it is I would rank this very highly on my Carbide Create wish list.

If you are using the 3d modeling feature in Carbide Create, switch to the beta version. For me, the 514 beta was not only better, it was also more stable than the current version.

While probably overkill for easier projects, it’s been my habit to keep notes (simple text document) for each project. This was really helpful for this project.

Don’t drop expensive bits on concrete.

5 Likes

Been there, done that.
Another Pro tip is to not drop them on your feet, especially when wearing nothing but sandals :woozy_face:

2 Likes

I would be remiss if I failed to point out that the Machine Operating Checklist recommends clothing suitable for a shop, and while footwear is not specifically mentioned, it is implied.

https://docs.carbide3d.com/general-faq/machine-operating-checklist/

Be safe — wear appropriate safety equipment…

1 Like

Yes, exactly why I switched to Crocs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This is my Bit Protector / Foam Pad that also makes it a little more comfortable when I am standing in front of the CNC being memorized by rhythmic patterns.

A luxury item, but it costs less than an Amana bit so maybe it will save me the next time I drop a bit.

5 Likes

Robert you have such dainty and lovely feet. Although I would recommend shoes for falling bits.:grinning:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.