Touch Probe location

(Don Allen) #1

First post and brand new to the CNC world. I realize there are many ways/philosophies to set the X, Y and Z zero axis. With or without a probe. That being said, I have a couple of questions about my Shapeoko touch probe.

1. Is there any way to use this probe in a location other than lower left (SW) for the X and Y axis?

2. My motors make a very unique and strange sound during the probe “cycle”. Is this typical?

3. Is there a simple thin and flat plate that is available for the Shapeoko for the Z axis only?

Thanks for looking at this post. Although I am climbing the fairly step learning curve, this journey has been a blast so far.

(Neil Ferreri) #2

Yes. By sending G-code directly, manually, you can issue probe commands in Carbide Motion. (Other senders can handle custom macros)
For example:
G21 ;set mm mode
G91 set relative motion mode
G38.2 X-25 F75 ;probe to the LEFT for 25mm at feedrate of 75mm/min
G10 L20 X10.175 ;Set position as work X10.175 (half of a 1/4" + 7mm for C3D probe)
G90 ;set back to absolute motion mode

Just the motor going slow…You can get steppers to play all range of notes.

I use AL foil for most Z probing. You can use anything conductive.

(Don Allen) #3

Thanks Neil. Super helpful. How does the “new” metal contact (Al foil in your case) connect to the Shapeko circuit board? The Carbide touch probe is just PnP. How can I extend the function to another metal object? I assume just make sure the metal (foil in your case) is also in contact with the Carbide probe base.

(Daniel Story) #4
  1. Yes, but as @neilferreri showed, requires manual G-Code input if using Carbide3D Motion. You could use other G-Code senders that have deeper customization and more advanced functionality but might not recommend it until you are comfortable with-in the CNC world and start to hit limits with Motion and workflow.

2. Its normal, has to do with the stepper drivers, micro-stepping, current, voltage. The slower they step/move usually the noisier they are.

3. I flip my probe upside down so it is stable on top of the work piece and probe it’s backside. Note that this would require manual G-Code as well for C3D Motion’s sake, as it “alters” the Z offset that is hard coded in Carbide3D’s software.

(William Adams) #5

1 - per https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/touch-probe/userguide/ there are three options:

• Probing X/Y/Z
  • Probing X
  • Probing Y
  • Probing Z