Trying to create correct tool paths

I have drawn a Trinity (or Celtic cross), however I can not get the tool paths correct to carve it correctly.

However when I choose and group my vectors it will not give me a tool path. I am using a 1/8 down cut bit. The image attached is what I am wanting to carve, meaning the black is the area that I want carved out. The only option i can get a tool path generated is is i carve out the out side of the lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hello Paul,

It would help to see the vectors.

If you have single lines for the three loops, and you just have thick lines to make it look like the above image, then that could be a problem.

Also, if you have the vectors correct but haven’t unioned the three shapes, that might cause problems.

If you have everything correct but you are trying to carve it so small that the channel is less than 1/8”, the you have a different problem.

1 Like

Don’t take my idea as gospel but look at the quick CC I tried.
You would have to make adjustments to your liking.
It uses a #102 bit and a pocket.
trinity.c2d (33.1 KB)

I show how to draw this symbol and assign toolpaths to it at:

The cut is roughly 1/4 wide, I even went to a 1/16 bit and wouldn’t produce a toolpath.
I’m sure its something simple I’m over looking but I cant seem to put my finger on it.

Please post the file.

Trinity work.c2d (123.7 KB)

The problem is the paths are open:

(as indicated by being magenta)

If you ungroup them:

It should work to select each set of paths which describe a given area:

and then use the Join Vectors command to close them, but it isn’t working for this, so you would instead need to do each separately:

Then select both pieces of geometry which describe a given area and Boolean Union them:

Repeat for all the other areas — for some regions it is necessary to Node edit so that things overlap:

It is then possible to add the toolpath as expected:

Attached.

Trinity work_closed.c2d (112.9 KB)

Thank you very much for all the effort you put into this. I would have never figured this out, but I definitely learned a few things. Thanks again for all the help.

Keep in mind that Will’s efforts were because:

Most of the time you’d hope to be able to join the points together directly without resorting to these operations - something you can certainly do easily in a different editor and hopefully in CC at some time.

1 Like

We have a bug report in on not all geometries joining — will add this to them.

To put a little kink in this - could you show the same pattern with each of the tips leading to “one over” and "one under’ to give the illusion that part of each of the angles seem 3D ? Could you explain how to do that?

Did one similar in my Celtic Coaster collection. V carved 1/2" Corian 4" Diameter with a cork backing. V-carving for coasters is a great place for the condensation to gather and keep your table dry. The heft of the Corian also keeps it from sticking to the bottom of your glass :grinning: These designs are easy to find (Celtic Tattoo designs) as ready to go artwork.

Thanks Lester! I appreciate you posting the photo as that is what I wanted to see - how these would look with the over/under carving. I may have to try that one of these days after my garden lets up and I have time. Interesting design, but I think I’ll much more shallow on the cut. And thanks for the tip on designs.

I did that at the link I first posted:

Basically you add geometry and do Boolean operations to create the illusion of passing under/over.

If you get stuck, post the file and we’ll walk through it.

OUCH!!! Hammered with a paper mallet! :slight_smile: Thanks Will, when I get my system uncovered of all the ‘stuff’ I have on it I’ll try this on a coaster. I appreciate the help!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.