Trying to Drive Past Limits

I apologize if I missed a post on this subject, but I could not find something that addressed this particular problem. I put together an *.nc file and I go to run it, but if my zero point is too close to the limits of the machines cutting area, it will skip the stepper motor several times and mess up my zero location. Is this the correct behavior?

All the limit switches work fine, everything works perfectly if my cutting stays inside the work area; just if I try to programmatically go out of bounds, it will do its best to get there. Seems like it should soft limit if commanded to go out of bounds, that way I don’t mess up the rest of my work piece by continuing cutting with a messed up zero.

The switches are for homing only, and limits are not checked.

The machine would crash at the limit of motion and lose steps.

I frequently get very close to the cutting limits of my SO3 and have had stepper motor skipping on the belts causing me to reposition my work piece and rezero. I’m in the habit now that if I think I’m close to working out of bounds I’ll draw a boundary of sorts around my design using a square or round shape, assign a contour toolpath to it and air cut it. If I can run a lap around the boundary I know the project will cut.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for that tip. It’s a bummer that that is the best solution… Seems like Carbide Motion should be capable of verifying three limits before running the code. In my case, the z axis is the trouble child. The retract went above the limit. Time to go adjust that …

Another quick way to see if your working out of bounds, put your courser at your work piece X0 Y0, originally it was at lower left in the pictures. Then move your courser to a point to where you may be out of bounds and see what the courser location is. My SO3 has a working area of 16 x 16 so if the courser is further than that from X0 Y0 I’ll need to reposition my work piece and rezero X and Y. Here I ended up sliding my work piece slightly off the front of the machine and zeroing in the middle of the work piece to get all the features cut.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.