Trying to fix plunge issue

I’m still working toward tramming my CNC machine (pic below is rather obvious it’s far from perfect). The Z axis as been the main issue, having to use foil method to adjust (this pic, you see lines, it was worse by default).

My question is about the round circles you see, not the lines, lines I can fix. The circles, the plunge I’m not sure how to fix. I’ve seen several posts before but they’re not this particular issue (I may have missed other posts) thus I’m looking for advice on what is causing it.

I have Z-Plus, no belt.

Edit:

• This is caused from me trying to surface my spoil board
  • I did not use a bit setter in this case nor were there any tool changes after Z was zeroed. I did not zero too deep, paper could barely move under bit.

We would need more information to help out such as how did it happen, what project where you making, can you share the file you ran in Carbide Motion, etc… In the mean time the best advise I can provide is to reach out to C3D support if not done already support@carbide3d.com.

The possible causes for this:

• setup — see: Unexpected Z-Axis Plunges
  • mechanical lost steps due to setup, machine issues, errant hose or cord — monitor for those while watching the machine
  • lost steps on retract due to wiring fault — this is usually accompanied by an awful noise — check all wiring and connectors

Let us know what you find out at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

Thanks for tips

• Z plunge article isn’t relevant to my issue
  • Could be machine issues… how would I check that?
  • Wiring is fine and no hoses or cables were being pulled, everything in that regard is done properly and tested

Create a basic test file, make notes as you cut it on how you secure your stock and set zero relative to it and manage all tool changes — capturing all of this in a video would be ideal — and make a video of the entire cut, then when the problem happens you can review the video to see what happened.

To check the machine mechanically. Per the machine operating checklist: Machine operating checklist , the basic points of adjustment for a machine are:

• (for belt drive machines) Pulley set screws — verify that these are in-place and secure — be sure to check all axes/pulleys (including Z on machines w/ belt-drive Z-axis, for an HDZ, check both coupler screws).

• (for the SO3/4, X- and Y-axes, and the belt-drive Z-axis on Launch and summer 2016 SO3s) V wheels / eccentric nuts (per assembly instructions)

• (for the Pro, Pro 5, HDM, and Z-Plus and HDZ Z-axis) Lubrication of the linear rails: CNC Machine Maintenance c.f., https://web.archive.org/web/20211127125707/https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/linear-guide-maintenance/Linear_Rail_and_Guide_Maintenance_02-17-2021_v1.0.pdf

• (for HDZs, and HDMs, and SO5 Pros) check that couplers between the motor and ball screw are secure, for the SO5 check that the DAC which transfers the rotary motion of the ball screw to linear machine motion is secure on the carriage/gantry

• (for belt drive machines) Belt tension (see the relevant step in your instruction manual, Note that the X-axis motor is held in place on standoffs and if those bolts are loose this can cause belt tension issues. Also, belt tension for the Y-axis stepper motors needs to be even/equivalent on each side — a significant difference can cause skipping on one side eventually resulting in lost steps on both. Measuring belt tension, squaring and calibration

Naturally, this assumes that all the wiring is in good condition and all connectors secure per the Machine Operating Checklist. Verify that all wiring is in good condition and all connectors are secure, and that all wiring leading into connectors are properly in place and are secured so that the wiring leading into and away from connectors will not shift.

What foil are you using, regular household aluminium foil?
If so, you are better off using cheap sets of feeler gauges.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.