Trying to get the 883 going after YEARS in storage

So I have this 883 Pro (#1086) that’s sadly been relegated to storage since I had to move across country during those “Covid years” and then moved from tiny apartment to tiny apartment. Now I have it out of storage and want to revive it. I believe it’s still on the original firmware and the old laptop I used with it has Motion build 513 at the moment.

Back out of the box, I power it up and the spindle automatically goes to the right and doesn’t stop – it keeps grinding into the limit switch. This scares me crapless so I just turn it off until I figure out how to stop that.

So that’s question 1: how do I stop that? Question 2 is I bought some Super Lube and likely need to give the whole thing a run-down but is there a ‘renovation’ guide so I can get this old man working properly? Not really sure how to approach this. Any info is appreciated!

If you were using CM513 then you have Grbl 1.1 and are good to go with updating to the current version:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta

1. With the power off, move the machine to the center of movement on each axis, slowly, and pausing in-between moving each axis

2. It should be fine to just apply the lubricant to each side of an axis and then jog the machine back and forth and then wipe up the excess.

2 Likes

Will, I appreciate the YEARS you’ve spent doing this.

1 Like

I’m still trying to figure out why X is so loud during initialization – and not stopping at the Z limit switch. The machine has been lubricated, but the X travel just sounds like it’s slipping (it physically moves fine). So I have to abort each attempt because it’s not hitting the Z limit and keeps grinding it.

I used Build 582 to Send Configuration Data (newer build didn’t seem to have this button) and still can’t get past Z initialization. I’ve taken the sides off and checked all the bolts and everything’s tight.

Testing the limit switch in the 618 Motion build’s UI does show the switches reporting presses. I can’t seem to find a solution.

Wow, okay I found this youtube and it’s EXACTLY what I’m getting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVbS7CcQjo

Okay, totally fixed up now – as that video (comments) suggested, I had screwed the MDF down with the wrong screws (round head instead of flat) unwittingly which made contact with the metal frame, preventing Y from moving entirely. That failed but appeared that it was X not working (I just noticed that Y starts moving right at that moment so it was the true failure.)

1 Like

Good to have another 883 Pro back in the game!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.