Trying to learn more

I want to make a basic flag with the word Veteran vertically in the stripe field. I have both svg files. I have watched some videos but still no success. I am using ccv7.

I am not sure how to make it into one file.

Please see:

If you are still stuck, post the file and we will do our best to walk through it w/ you.

It looks like the stars & stripes could be all cut at the same depth. What depth do you want the lettering?
Above everything (embossed), deeper than the stripes (Engraved), or they could even be between the top and depth of stripes. ??

Either way you have to imagine each layer & what they will look like.

1 Like

I was trying to keep the letters the same height of the stock. If that makes sense.

In that case, draw geometry offset by the are by the radius of the tool you are using and cut it and the text as a pocket down to the depth which is appropriate to cutting the balance of the design.

I am going to try to what you are suggesting. Sorry if I sound ignorant, but this is new to me. I basically don’t want the toolpath for the stripes to cut through the text. I was trying to use the Boolean tool to try to figure out what I am trying to accomplish. But that didn’t work.

You will need to do a Boolean union here — post the file and we’ll walk through it w/ you.

veteran flag.c2d (140 KB)

First, draw a rectangle which describes the area of the design:

Offset it to the outside by the radius of the tool which will be used:

Select that geometry and the text and do a pocket toolpath down to a suitable depth:

which raises a thorny issue — the tool used must be one small enough to cut the geometry of the design in question — we will use a #102 here for expediency’s sake.

It will then be necessary to break up the text and cut the counters using a smaller tool, or a V carving operation:

which arguably doesn’t work that well — it will probably be necessary to instead do this as a multi-layer V carving, see:

How’s this look?

veteran flag sdguy.c2d (168 KB)

1 Like

thank you got it. I appreciate all the help.

I want to seriously thank everyone for their help. Y’all are awesome!!

Great. I am glad you got it.
I figured I’d post these since I already did them.

veteran flag sdguy 2 .c2d (152 KB)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.