Trying to use a surfacing bit on oak

Hello, I have a Shapeoko 4 XXL and I would like to flatten a piece of oak. I’m using a 6510 surfacing bit from Whiteside with this settings:

But I’m getting burning marks doing the ramping at the start. Is this normal? could you please guys recommend me some settings for this bit on oak? I tried searching them online but some people say “use 75% stepover” or “use 30% stepover” or “use 12000RPM if you don’t want your bit to be a bullet” etc… I’m very nervous about this since I’m a beginner. Thank you very much.

The burning here:

Hi, eliminate the ramp and bump your speed to at least 150 ipm.

The ramp step is too slow, causing the burning. Facing/leveling toolpaths, because the depth of cut is so shallow, place very little strain on the CNC so you can safely ramp the speed up.

As a new guy, baby steps to learn how each parameter affects your cuts. Eliminate the ramp step, see what happens. Then up the ipm in increments, see what happens. Also, do not exceed the max rpm set by the maker of the cutter.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try to do what you said.

I also updated the path so the bit can go even more smootly at the start.

1 Like

Could you please recommend me the RPM and stepover to use with the 150ipm? I tried to do the same job without the ramp step but I’m still getting burning marks. I believe my problem is the stepover or maybe I just have to up the IPM like you said, but I would like to know what you would use just to be sure since 150ipm seems like a lot for me.

Thank you very much.

What happens if you continue the toolpath to the end and it starts back the other way? Does it just burn on entry?

Is the router turning to its set speed when movement starts or still ramping up?

Will VCarve allow you to start the path from the end of the stock?

18k is the max rpm Whiteside recommends for that cutter. For facing I generally use around 90% stepover.

Whiteside has a fusion 360 tool database. From the database:

Spindle: 15,000 RPM
Cutting feedrate: 100 in/min
Ramping/Plunging: 33.33 in/min

I surfaced a cutting board with these settings at 10mm stepover and 0.5mm DOC (but it could probably have done a lot more, but I just wanted to trim a small amount off of the top).

-I just started a new strategy so no idea how would have ended (Probably with a lot of burning marks)
-Yes, the router moves to it’s set speed now without ramping
-I don’t understand the question

So I ended using 70% stepover 100IPM with 16000 RPM and I feel that the piece of oak is flatter now, but it has some… machine lines? How could I set the machine to get a better finish? I suppose less stepover? I mean… it feels flat so isn’t the tramming of my router.

Thank you very much for your time.

1 Like

Looks good from here, those are just machine marks and will disappear with a very light sanding with 220 grit.

4 Likes

Haha, sounds like me a few years ago.

Fail Your Way to Success - my strategy.

2 Likes

Slow the spindle down or raise the feed rate
A larger tool is is covering more ground that a smaller tool at same speed
A small circle of a 1/4” has a much smaller circumference that a 1/2” tool
I use a 1” end mill for surfacing and the rpm’s are normally lower than 3000rpm

2 Likes

Yeah… at 10000 RPM, the outer edge of a 1/4" endmill is travelling at 14mph, whereas a 1" one is about 60mph. I think. Something like that.

1 Like

Seems like faster than 69moh if you touch it like I did one time

OMG NO, I sometimes find myself looking at the bit in movement and imagining how much of my finger I would lose if I fuck up.

I was lightly sanding while surfacing with a 1” surface mill
Was a small cut but after applying electrical tape it was still bleeding hours later
X-ray showed it cracked the bone too
Sanding can wait these days till machine is off lol

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.