Tutorial on feeds and speeds

Okay, Google making Colaboratory available makes this a lot more workable — still hacking at a sample workbook, but it seems promising:

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1uqRD28E_T_3h4ZR2fU-DM54-T2g3wkG8

Just wish there was a natural way to graph a Google Spreadsheet or represent it as a table.

1 Like

This is very helpful, thank you for all your work on this!

So, Carbide Motion’s Nomad and Shapeoko speeds and seeds recommendations are primarily based on scaled speeds and feeds recommendations of endmill manufacturers?

I believe they’re set up for some sort of standard chipload which is expected to work well in the Nomad — usually you have to scale them up for the Shapeoko (use a calculator to increase the RPM to what the Shapeoko trim routers can do and adjust the feed rate to maintain the same chipload).

I’ve read through the entire thread and the issue of machine rigidity gets missed in many these calculations. For example an Amana tool bit with a 0.006 chipload may need to be much smaller for the standard Shapeoko or in the middle if that Shapeoko has an HDZ. Still trying to get my head around that. And the Nomad will be different too.

2 Likes

I agree.

Thank you for sharing. I needed this