Unknown Screw Origin

I was working on my 1 yr old Shapeoko 3 when I discovered a tiny black screw on my wasteboard. It is .16 inches long and .12 inches in diameter with slightly double recessed ends. I have attached a picture. Any ideas where it may have come from? I thought I would ask the experts if they recognize it before I have to start taking things apart. I have a Dewalt 611 router and a Suckit dust boot. It looks like I may have seen it but I am unable to be sure,

Thank you,
Gerry

It’s most likely an M3 set screw from one of the pulleys: http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/shapeoko-3-how-to-check-the-pulley-set-screws/

Thanks Will,
It’s really difficult to see some of the x holes and get at them. What is the purpose of this particular screw? Is it to prevent slippage. Everything seems very stable - x,y, and z. Can a catastrophic event occur if it falls out?

Gerry

I agree will Will, probably a set screw from the static pulley on the Z axis. Technically nothing should move even without that set screw. I lost one too last year, machine worked fine, I reinstalled it with blue loctite (242/243) when I had my Z axis apart.

Dan

3 Likes

As @DanoInTx noted it’s probably from the static pulley, which shouldn’t be able to move, being held in place by its bolt — I’d put it away as a spare so long as all the others are present and accounted for.

1 Like

I will take that advice and watch a little more carefully.

Thank you both,

Gerry

There’s two I believe and they go right here on the Z axis static pulley:

zaxis_static_pulley

You’ll see though that the way the belt is pinched, teeth to teeth is can’t really move anyway.

Dan

1 Like

Thanks Dan,
I think I now know what I’m dealing with.

Gerry

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.