Unnecessary tool changes

Is there a way to skip the tool change at the beginning of a new job if the tool hasn’t changed since the last run?

1 Like

Possibly I have your question wrong. but tool changes are dependent on the order of your tool paths. As an example grouping those that require the same together.

1 Like

Unfortunately, we don’t have a production mode file run option at this time (it’s a popular feature request).

The work-around is to disable the BitSetter, then re-set the Z-axis zero, then one can run files w/o going to the BitSetter. (I usually just put Carbide Motion in Machine Position mode, make a note of the tool length, and use that as a check on the tool slipping).

1 Like

Thanks AlphaHD. That makes sense. I’m a beginner so I’m just doing some test cuts with the same tool each time. At the start of each job it asks me to change the tool even though it’s the same one that I was just using. It just seems like an unnecessary step and adds a bit of time. Similarly after every job the machine returns to the home position. Can you stop it doing that?

1 Like

It should not ask for a tool change if the next path is using the same tool as the last. Look at your tool numbers when asked to change a bit as it keys in on the number as shown on the screen. Possibly you are accidentally using the same tool size with a different number.

1 Like

I am using the latest CC and during my flag cut I was using multiple bits. The way to avoid bit changes is as @AlphaHD suggested by picking multiple objects with the same tool and making a single tool path for all of them. This works if the tool path has a single tool. However if doing an advanced vcarve and the last tool used for the adv vcarve was the next tool in another tool path the CM software will ask for the tool. That is likely due to advanced vcarve using 2 tools and the software is not smart enough to know that the last tool used will be the next tool used in another tool path.

As @WillAdams said there is no production mode so everytime you start a job you will be asked for a tool even if it is the same tool still in the router. That is baked into the CM software. The only option would be to turn off the BitSetter but you will still be prompted for a tool. You just skip the trip to the BitSetter.

1 Like

Hi Tim, it’s not the next tool path. It’s if I load a new program using Carbide Motion that it wants to change the tool again.

I am certainly not smart enough to do it, but could one write a shell script to perform the clock operation when the pop up happens that prompts for the tool change and the spindle check, etc.? It wouldn’t take away the machine motion, but if you enabled the script before setting up a batch of things it could at the very least eliminate a hard stop in the work flow.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.