Unusual problem - Y+ Axis Jamming in Jog

Hi there, I have the XXL and its worked perfectly for me for the last year.

Here’s the problem - When running the Y+ is jamming. Went to test in JOG and X +&- plus Z +&- works fine.

**When I Jog the and hit the Y+ the arm jams (Racking occurs immediately). (Y - is fine).

Everything tight, Wiring looks good!

Any help would be appreciated!
David

I would suspect that you have one of the following difficulties:

• loose pulley set screw: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/169-shapeoko-3-how-to-check-the-pulley-set-screws
  • loose / bad belt — check the tension and teeth (use a mirror for the latter)
  • bad motor, wire, or stepper driver — power down and swap the connectors at the board — if the problem switches sides, bad stepper driver or wire, same == motor, then swap the wiring extension, if it switches back == bad wire, stays same == stepper driver

Whatever you find out, contact support and we’ll work this out with you as best we can.

Thank you very much. Looking into it now!

UHi Will,

Checked belt/teeth tension - all good! i followed link to carbide docs you sent about pulley set screw, it looks fine but when I went to page ther than title page it’s blank.

I don’t think it would be the above because there is no racking in Y- just in Y+ (this occurs immediately - even when I jog 1mm the arm racks immediately. Facing the machine I can see the the left side of the arm trying to move forward but the right side of arm is not moving.

**Switched X and Y wires on board - same issue (no difference!)

Any thoughts?

I’d remove all the belts then test each axis at a time in jog mode. If you can’t get both Y motors to move at the same time, I’d suspect the board could be faulty?

Luke

1 Like

Likely a problem with the stepper driver on the control board — contact support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get you squared away.

Thanks Luke, appreciate the help

Hi Will,
I’ll send a message to support. Thanks once again for your help!
David