Upgrade to Thicker Z belt

Hi all. I bought a used older machine and upgraded all X and Y belts from 6 to 8mm, with the maintenance kit. The website says the kit is supposed to come with a spare 6 mm belt for the Z plate, but it looks like they missed me with that. Instead of buying another 6mm I want to upgrade to something thicker. Has anyone had success upgrading the Z axis to a thicker belt and pulley?

Adding the 3mm would increase lever effects. I think @Vince.Fab has something on this though.

My suggestion would be getting the best quality Gates-branded belt you can — SDP/SI and BB Man. are known good sources, and I think the Filastruder folks have started stocking this as well.

3 Likes

A 9mm open ended belt can be adapted to the Z axis with little to no modifications. However there is a slight misalignment due to a few variables but I did 30,000 test cycles to ensure there wouldn’t be any end fraying.

3 Likes

Thanks! I ended up just ordering an HDZ. I know I would be tinkering with it again in a few months anyway.

3 Likes

You will love it. Especially if you were having any problems wit chatter.

1 Like

The extra Z travel non the HDZ is very nice as well! Good choice

2 Likes

I may have missed this earlier, but why not just used a 9mm closed loop with a matching pulley?

Availability, and the ability to run a stiffer steel core.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m excited!

Source for this steel core belt…?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.