Upgrading CM-578 to CM-630 was a breaking change

I have solved my upgrade issues myself, but I want to post my experience so:

1. Others may get out of the same mess faster since I’ve seen some similar posts.

2. To improve Carbide Motion
    I have not used my ShapeOKO 3 in a while and had a backlog of cut jobs so I decided to upgrade my OS (RPi 4 Linux) and Carbide Motion from build 578 to build 630. (This problem is not specific to the unsupported? RPi build)
    Everything went well in the upgrades until I started CM-630 and the shiny new “Setup Wizard”. There was an option to skip if you know that your machine is set-up, but it was a trick. You cannot skip it. I exited the app, went to another motion controller and dumped all of my GRBL settings and added them to my notes, since, I didn’t know what was about to happen. I re-started the RPi CM and submitted to the setup wizard. I have a ShapeOKO 3 XXL with HDZ, bit setter, and Bit Zero v1. The issues:

3. The new CM was not smart enough to import my old settings, like most mainstream software. (Please think about adding this) Here are where your old and new settings are:
    RPi:
    pi@shapeoko:~$ ls ~/.config/Carbide\ 3D/CarbideMotion6
    features.txt global.json shapeoko.json
    OS X:
    ~ ls ~/Library/Preferences/Carbide\ 3D/CarbideMotion6
    features.txt global.json shapeoko.json

4. I pressed forward and got to the Bit Setter, which had my machine home position jacked up for a while until I realized that the screen that allows you to position the spindle over the Bit Setter was missing on the RPi. There was also a lot of text chopped off of the instructions. This was the worst problem, since I was unfamiliar with the new Setup Wizard and for some reason couldn’t easily find the updated instructions. My workaround was to start over on OS X with the latest CM and go through the same setup. Then, I copied the config from the OS X config directory above and copied them over to the latest config directory on the RPi.

• Here is my touch screen size, so you know my resolution when viewing the clipped text: 12.3” Touchscreen Display 1920x1280
  1. The latest release handles probing differently, and didn’t allow me to set my Bit Zero in the Settings pane. It was a small inconvenience, but it would be nice to go ahead and specify that in the Setup Wizard and/or Settings pane since you find out that it is wrong when you are into a job setup and it is a mystery what will happen after you change any settings during an active job.

I won’t mention anything else since after re-setting up my machine, it seems to work fine.

Thank you for making a RPi version, since it is much easier using that on a purpose built touch screen motion controller computer.

I find it strange that you had issues with the screen text being cut-off on such a high resolution display.
I have an Rpi4 with 10" 1280x800 touchscreen & have not seen any issues with UI text being truncated.

Do you have some kind of screen scaling enlargement going on?

1 Like

No. I’ll take a screenshot once I get done with my current run so I don’t end up with a machine setup exercise at a inconvenient time.

When you updated the RPi OS, did you put the latest version of the OS on it (bookworm)? If so, the X11 window manager is no longer the default - Wayland is. Wayland is having some growing pains and it might be wise to switch back to X11. I did the switch on my RPi 5 have had no issues on the two major uses I have for it: 1) Citrix for my work when I work from home and 2) for Carbide Motion.

If you did upgrade to bookworm and didn’t force it to use X11, it might explain some of the anomolies.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.