US Wavy Flag - walnut/ash inlayed stars

Obviously a ton of these, but i hadn’t seen too many with inlayed stars. No stain or paint here, just all walnut and ash. Turned out great considering this was nothing more than a test piece.

Took some work to calculate out the stars, making sure the inlay was deep enough to not be removed by cutting in the waves. These were done with a 1/16th (i broke a few) and then max depth of cut is only .5 inch because that’s all i could find for a 1/16th. So i had to compress the waves a bit, i think .4 is what i ended up with to make sure .1 was left on the inlay.

Finished with Rubio Pure.

28 Likes

Really great work. What software did you use to generate the wave stl? Was it done in CCreate or another CAD software like Fusion?

1 Like

I use Fusion 360 for 3D modeling and then Vcarve Pro. I’d like to eventually move my CAM into F360, but haven’t learned it well enough yet to do that.

1 Like

Awesome job! Curious about the inlays … how did you manage the inlays on the curved surface? (They’re difficult enough on a flat surface.)

1 Like

I tried a lot of things to do the inlays on a curved surface and even talked to Vectric directly, it’s just not possible. So I did a ton of math and planning to basically put the inlays in before the waves are cut and ensure there is enough material left after the wave is cut in.

I also spent a ton of time on tooling and figuring out radius and max cut depth. I ended up cutting the stars with a 1/16 but which has a max depth of .5 inches, I couldn’t find a longer one anywhere. So then I had to compress the 3d model to ensure it wasn’t taller than .4

I would prefer they would have been a vcarve as that produces super tight inlays. But straight inlays work and I just spend a bunch of time testing tolerances to get a tight fit.

4 Likes

Very stunning work. Nice “test piece”. I can only imagine the time you have in designing this piece. I play with Fusion 360 for my metal work and have just received my 5 pro so i am looking forward to endless nights trying to design “art” like this. Thanks for the post and inspiration.

1 Like

Thanks i’m building a 2" thick by 42" long version next for a customer, should be pretty impressive once done. Will post pics.

And here’s with some Rubio Sheen Plus added.

9 Likes

A snappy salute. I love to see old glory waving on a windy day.

1 Like

I’m not much into wavy flags but I definitely like yours. The first one I have seen that makes me want to try one. Very nice and thank you for not desecrating it with words. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks, i really wanted something that would just pure wood, no stain, no paint, just awesome wood. I have a massive slab of Ash here and some Maple i’m going to use on the next version. Maple is whiter, but the ash has nice grain that pops good with the Rubio. Maple might be nice for the stars though. Will have to test it out.

I just found a 1/16th long reach that lets me get .75 inches deep, so that means i can almost double the waves from this 24" version i did. I’m working on a 42" version at the moment, should look REALLY nice with the deeper waves.

1 Like

Those stars look really tricky. Great job!

Also great job on the wave pattern. I can never make a convincing wave pattern in fusion. Good work.

I can’t take full credit on that, i modified another design to get what i needed. I do have some plans to create a few more though when i get some time, but it’s low on the list compared to other projects i need to get completed in Fusion.

New to this community. Just want to say really nice job!

1 Like

Beautiful! Well done!

1 Like

Very impressive! Nice work there.

1 Like

Really nice job, Chris! One of the best wavy flags I’ve seen actually. I really like the ash stripes. The wavy grain really adds to the overall waviness.

1 Like

Thanks, I have to build a couple more for customers. I think i’m gonna do Maple Stars, with ash/walnut stripes for one of them, see what that looks like.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.