Using standard router bits

I was watching some tutorials on the Vectric site and in one of the tutorials it talked about using a standard shaping router bit for the edge of the material. Is this something that is ok to do or not? I thought I read here that it was not advisable.

Bill

I use standard bits all the time. The key is, if they are large ones, you will need to slow the feed rate and take a smaller amount each pass. Other then that the router can handle it, it’s just the stepper motors are only so strong with the belt setup. I use large V-Bits, and a 1 1/4" surface bit often. Also Ball nose and straight bits for clearing / roughing. Just take smaller layers and you should be fine. The largest issue is if you push down too hard Z belt will skip and if moving too fast with the larger surface on the bit it could cause X or Y to skip.

3 Likes

As @rogwabbit noted, standard router bits are fine with suitable feeds and speeds — two additional concerns:

• don’t use bits with bearings, there’s just no way to set up paths reliably enough to not have the bearing potentially interfere
  • be aware of whether or no the router bit can plunge / center cut — if it can’t you’ll need to ramp in at an angle / rate which the bit and the machine can handle, or possibly come in from the side — check the manufacturer’s guidelines
1 Like

Thanks guys for the info. I was thinking mainly for the outside edge of a piece. Of course using a router table would be faster if I went that route. Sorry, I couldn’t resist that last one. :grimacing:

If only for the edge, the router table is your fastest route, unless you have some sort of floating mount like a vacuum table and the board overhangs.

3 Likes