Using Track Pad on Laptop with no Wheel

Can someone give me some advise on using my laptop track pad. When I design I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. I design inside the house on a 55" monitor. When I go into the shop I usually dont take the wireless mouse.

In the house the wireless mouse you can right click and use the wheel to expand and contract the view on the CC screen. Without the mouse and only the track pad on the laptop I can hold down the right click and use my other hand to move around but I cannot figure out how to expand or contracts the view with only the track pad.

Any advise on how to use the track pad with no wheel to enlarge and contract the view in CC.

Usually it is minor tweeks that I am trying to make and I can go and get the mouse if needed but I would like to just make a quick change and go go go.

Depending on the trackpad driver you can zoom in/out w/ pinch gestures — works on the keyboard on my Samsung Galaxy Book 12.

Thanks Will but that does not work on my track pad. That pinch works on my Android phone but after looking at the control panel for the track pad I see no options for the “Pinch” method of expanding.

I can move around the screen just fine but I cannot zoom in or out with the track pad. Guess I will just have to go and get the mouse to do those things.

I also have a touch screen on the laptop and tried the pinch method but that did not work either. I almost forgot it was a touch screen. I have a thing about people touching my monitor. When I was working in an office someone would come in and want to show me something and use their finger to smear across my screen. That drove me crazy so I try to never touch the screen. Finger prints on a screen drive me crazy, well crazier than I already am.

Thanks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My laptop is an HP Pavilion with ELAN track pad.

My HP spectre touchpad uses the pinch to zoom. According to the device manager, it’s by Synaptic.

Here’s maybe a place to start from HP HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cc130 laptop touch pad not working ... - HP Support Community - 8075493

My Dell touchpad uses 2 fingers to scroll / zoom. See if you can find your touchpad settings for a clue.
You didn’t mention which laptop??

I found mention of the Windows update from Win8, to Win 10 would mess it up.

Is there a driver from the OEM?

Are there options for enabling/disabling gestures?

1 Like

Last sentence of his last post, “HP Pavilion with ELAN track pad.”
He did leave out what version of windows.

1 Like

Thanks for all your assistance. I will have to do more research. It is a minor problem because the wireless mouse works. The OS is Win 10 Current patches.

I guess I am too lazy to walk in the house to get the mouse. We have a lot of expertise on the forum.

Not to sound like a jerk but…what does the manual for laptop have to say about using the track pad? Maybe this will help you get along in your endeavors. HP 14 and Pavilion 14 Notebook PCs - Elan Touchpad Function Is Lost After Upgrading to Windows 10 | HP® Customer Support

OK I finally figured out the mystery of the zoom/shrink function of my Elan trackpad. I found the control panel properties for the Elan Trackpad. The zoom feature was already enabled but the example in the panel did not seem to work. I would place two fingers on the track pad and move left and right. That did not work. If I place two fingers on the trackpad and move up and down I get the zoom feature.

Just glad I can get it work. Thanks to those that replied.

A big Homer DOOOOOOOOOH!!! So the actual issue was just a loose nut on the keyboard.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.