V bit just barely scoring top of wood

I’m very new to CNCing, so for my first project I thought I would test a few fonts for coasters. This is with a 1/4" 60 degree vbit. The problem is that the bit is just barely grazing the top of the material. I’ve double checked the wood thickness and the Carbide Create simulation looks fine, so I’m not sure where to go from here.

I’m also using Universal Gcode Sender, if that makes a difference.

coaster test.nc (11.3 KB)

First, are you sure it is a 1/4in V bit? The shank is 1/4in but usually the bit size (widest part top of V is 1/2in for the Carbon 3D bits) or maybe something else. If you have it identified wrong it would affect your cut, the system will not calculate the cut properly but the simulation would look great.

Second, how did you do your zeroing?

Third, what CC settings did you use to create the toolpath?

Note the V carve bit will only go as low as its widest point, this will allow it to stay in between the lines of your Drawing.
Here’s a link if your having issues zeroing out your workpiece in carbide motion.

Ill send you a easy file for a simple v carve.
This was done in 2 min with Carbide Create including import of image and toolpath set, and Cut with Carbide Motion.

Carbide Create File
lotus-flower.c2d (2.5 MB)

This is cut with a #302 V Bit
'Note when measuring v bit measure its widest point.
lotusflower.nc (99.7 KB)

This

1 Like

Are you sure you’re setting Z zero properly?

It looks as if there’s a mismatch between endmill angle in the file and the actual angle of the endmill — are you sure you aren’t cutting a design for the #301 w/ a #302?

I programmed for #302 Bit and Used a #302 Bit, but upon checking stock tool settings, they read 30’ for a #302 V Bit?

Nice catch, I wouldn’t even think to check carbide creates tool settings that I bought from Carbide Create. the angles are set at 30… hmmmm

30 deg per side X 2= 60 deg

3 Likes

totally spaced for a sec… but toolpaths and tools all match up @WillAdams so not quite sure what you are referring to… but you had me thinking I ran the file wrong for a sec… but everything checks out and seems to be in order

1 Like

Thank you everyone. I had the angle in carbide create set at 60 degrees instead of 30 (who would have thought?). Works a lot better now.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.