V carve a metal coin?

Tldr: does anyone have suggestions or resources on v carving brass?

I’m done with my month long programming bootcamp. Naturally that means it’s back to the garage!

This post by @Julien (mdf bitcoin) inspired me to try and make a bitcoin out of real metal.
I’ve been doing regular 2d style challenge coins recently but I’ve been able to get away with traditional endmills so far.

For the detail of the bitcoin svg on a 40mm diameter coin, i imagine a vcarve is the way to go. I’ve got v bits ranging from 10 degrees to 90 degrees.

I am going to give carbide create pro a try but i want to do relief carvings eventually so I’ll likely be grabbing a carveco or vetric at some point.

If anyone has any advice for this endeavor I’d love to hear it.(recipes? Tools? Smart aleck comments? All welcome)
I’ll likely try cutting tomorrow and give some updates along the way.

1 Like

This thread could be a start and @Gerry might want to comment

2 Likes

Awesome thread, much of that is directly applicable. Much appreciated.

I picked up another (20) 30 degree v bits based on the feedback from Gerry. (30 degree being his most commonly used cutter)
10 of the cutters are the bog standard d bit style. I also picked up 10 triangle tipped cutters just to compare the two geometries side by side. At roughly $1 a piece, why not experiment a bit

I’ll try with Carbide create for now and figure out if I will need something more down the road.

I think when I did wax stamps I reduced aluminum speeds and feeds by 20% and depth of cut by 20% and that worked out pretty well overall. I don’t have a large amount of experience in brass, but it didn’t seem too bad at the time, though I haven’t done them in a while.
Edit:
Thread has some good tips in it, beyond just the numbers. Note that it’s on the older Nomad which had a max spindle speed of 10,000 compared to the 3’s 24,000 rpm.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.