V carve repeating passes

Funny thing going on with V carve tool paths with CC.

I’m thrilled with the results. It’s frightfully easy to get a nice carve on the right wood.

But Depending on the character, such as a dotted letter “I” , when the bit gets to that dot It will get hung up and just keep hitting that character or letter several times before moving on.

Gets hung up on serfs as well quite a bit. This seems to be adding a lot of extra time.

Then some letters it goes through once or twice and moves on so I haven’t had to duplicate tool paths For a clean cut.

wonder if this would be the case with either fusion or Vetric?

I think this is what’s happening. V-carve traces the ‘co-tangent’ vectors first. Then for any corner that is sharp, or has a radius of curvature smaller than the radius of the tool at that depth it ‘picks’ out the corners. This is great when you have sharp corners you want defined in the cut. But not so great when you just want to carve out lines or letters & you don’t need any corners picked out.

It would be super cool if we could turn off the ‘picking’ when we don’t want it. Or define a maximum angle for a corner in case we have some corners we want picked, and then smoother contours like illustrated that we don’t want picked.

1 Like

Very interesting Todd. Thank you.

So I wonder if your corners are larger than the radius of the bit, Then it wouldn’t get hung up like that?

Like say on a 3 foot diameter sign where Your corners and your characters are pretty good size.

Yes, except that everything gets converted into polylines.

Interestingly… That is a 19 sided polygon. If I increase it to 20 sides, it doesn’t pick out any corners.

If I convert all the nodes to smooth, it still picks but not all the way to the top

The geometry gets converted, or just the toolpath?

1 Like

I believe it’s geometry, then the simplified polyline is used to calculate the toolpath.

That’s what I get for assuming!! :slight_smile:

Our algorithm offsets the tolerance bands & linearizes within them. Only the toolpath gets linearized.

I did wonder if the font created the error’s in the path. It’s a free True Type script font.

In my early sign days (mid-80s) cutting vinyl , your cut vinyl had better lines with post script fonts.

I’m not sure that matters with today’s hardware and software though.

CC isn’t really kern friendly so I do all my text in illustrator and export.

Anyway, did a short 4 word carve and it would chip at a serif several times, the do a deeper cut. Did this in several characters.

Has anyone had this happen with Fusion or Vectric?

Thanks.

Font format differences usually revolve around support of Bèzier curves (PostScript) or the need to convert quadratic B-splines (TrueType).

A further consideration is that early TrueType font editing tools were rough/difficult to use.

OpenType allows/supports both types of curves.

Interesting thank you.

Il try w/ an Adobe OT font today and see if that made a difference.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.