V-Carving A Marble Tile

Here is what a Shapeoko can do with an inexpensive PCD V-bit. It’s a 12ish minute long video, so feel free to skip through it. I’ll add more info tomorrow.

9 Likes

Nice, I’ve done many tile engravings with a drag bit. Can you provide more info on the PCD V-bit you are using. How much depth do you carve? What F&S do you use?

Yes, I’d be interested in more details as well. Nice work!

I’m using these bits.. I ordered two each of the 60deg, 70deg and 90deg. I received four of the 70deg instead of the 60deg bits but I discovered it too late to exchange them. No worries though. I’m still enjoying them.

Feeds and speeds from the Vectric tool list for them:
Pass depth: 1.0mm
Final pass step over: 0.2mm
Clearance pass step over: 1.0mm

Spindle speed: 12k rpm
Feed rate: 20.0 ipm
Plunge rate: 15 ipm

Here’s a few more pics of tiles I’ve been practicing on.

8 Likes

Sorry but my Chinglish is not up to par, is this the price per bit, for a set of 5 or that there are 5 different types available?

They are ~$12-ish per bit. After whatever fees and taxes and whatnot, my 6 bits were just under $80.00 delivered.

1 Like

I see that these bits have a 6 mm shank. Does anyone know if the Makita / Carbide Compact Router 1/4" collet will work with 6 mm shank tools? I know that the DeWalt collet will not close down enough to grab a 6 mm shank, and that a special 6 mm collet is needed.

Yes you should use appropriate size collets Elaire sells precision collets for Makita in mm sizes.

Yes, I realize using a 6 mm collet would be the proper way, but curious if a 1/4" collet would work in a pinch, since it’s only a 0.35 mm difference.

I think that @WillAdams had provided the amount of tolerance for collets and if memory serves me, it was not much meaning that it would be possible for a bit to come loose or overstretch a collet.

It’s my understanding that ER-style collets (and possibly similar collets such as the DeWalt DWP611) have a wider clamping range which might allow that to work, but it’s still not advisable — better to get the correct collet size.

For the Carbide Compact Router/Makita, there isn’t as much clamping range, so it’s not an option — get the right size collet. Makita makes 6mm available in some locales, or you can get the right collet from Elaire Corp.:

http://www.elairecorp.com/makitaroutercollets.html

Also, these bits will take 2+ weeks to arrive to the US, so you have time to do some research and find an appropriate collet for your machine. Then. . .
Take a short vacation.
Order the new collet.
Take it for glamour shots when it arrives.
Place it on a shelf.
Forget about it.
Receive the PCD bits.
Wonder what the heck you ordered from China.
Open the package and then remember. . . Oh yeah, I get to cut stone now!

7 Likes

Actually, I know from personal experience that the standard 1/4" collet on the DeWalt DWP611 will NOT clamp onto a 6 mm collet. Based on what you said, the same is true for the Makita collet.

I guess if I want to try these “cheap” PCD V-bits, I’ll have to invest in the Elaire 6 mm Makita collet.

@MadHatter Yes, I know what you mean about those slow shipments from China. They only seem to show up after I’ve forgotten about them.

2 Likes

Didn’t you forget the step where you order a second new collet because of the steps where you placed the first one on a shelf and forgot about it? That could just be me. :frowning:

Jim

Not a collet, but drill bits. I use these for drilling my cribbage board holes. I buy them 10 at a time, and I put them in these little plastic containers that hold ten bits and label them.

But I ran out of trays to hold the cases, so I put them away and forgot, so when I ran out of bits, I ordered another 20, since I know that I am going to use them eventually, and I’ll lower the “per bit” cost by spreading the shipping over more bits. Well, I found my other drill bits when I went to put away the extra ones after they arrived. So, now I have like 40+ of the 0.1250" carbide drill bits. :open_mouth:

So, I completely understand.

Also, I designed and printed a couple of collet holders.

5 Likes

Thanks, Hatter. I appreciate the links. Drillman1 is becoming my goto guy. Those small shank organizers are now on my list. I don’t have that many tools in those sizes… yet.

Everytime I turn around, I see more proof that routing and 3D printing are linked.

From what you showed, it looks like you have a fine setup for getting your work out. I have a special interest in cribbage boards, too. I’m working on more designs, all the time.

Thanks, again,
Jim

1 Like

Jim,

I’m glad I could help you out. 3D printing really is “the other hand” of CNC machining. With a CNC machine, you get it in your head that there is a “thing” you want and you design it and cut it and there it is. Sometimes that “thing” is just not machinable (or not worth the effort) - that is where 3D printing comes in.

3D printing allows you to really expand the custom “things” you can make to satisfy your need.

If you do happen to get a 3D printer, here is where my stuff is on Thingiverse if any of it might suit your needs / wants.

ER-11 Collet, Nut and Wrench Holders

5in Sanding Pad Holder

PreciseBits Collet, Locknut and Wrench Holder for DeWalt Router

Pegboard Mounted Plastic Flip Top Container Holder

6in, 4in and 2.5in Duct Adapters for Dust Collection

3 Likes