V carving issue

I am having an issue using my v bits. I have tried using a 60 and 30 degree bit to carve stars for an American Flag. The points of my stars are rounded and I have been unable to come up with a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vcarving is very sensitive to having a very accurate zero point in the Z axis… how confident are you that your Z zero is good?

1 Like

I used my touch probe for Z height. Should I be doing it with a touch off with paper? Sorry I have only had my machine for a couple of weeks. I haven’t done any v carving yet, only flat signs.

one way to check is to type in the MDI screen

G0 X0 Y0 Z10

(which puts the bit 10 mm above the zero point)

and then in jog screen, set the step size to 1mm… you should be able to make 10 steps down and hit exactly the material

but keep an eye out! If you hit the material before 10 steps, stop immediately
(hence the steps instead of going straight there)

based on your picture I would estimate you’re off by about 2 to 3mm

(and 3mm is more or less what you’re off at if you misplace the probe during probing, e.g. you get “sit on top of” vs “hangs over the corner” mistaken)

2 Likes

I will give that a try. Thank You!

It touched the paper at 8 mm. I need to be more careful with my probing! Thank You!

I reloaded my run file and was very careful using my touch probe to zero Z height. I started the carve and it is still making rounded corners at the star tips.

ok so it appears something is slipping from start to finish
if I look zoomed in to your stars in your picture, they seem to get a bit worse the further right in the picture

this is where @WillAdams has a checklist of things to check since it looks things slip a bit

just double-checking,

• do have the probe sitting fully on top of the stock (lip included), as @fenrus said that’s one possible mistake (overhanging the lip and probing Z only)
  • if you zero manually with a paper, and rerun your cut, does it still not work ?
1 Like

The list of mechanical issues is at:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/FAQ#Mechanical

(as is most everything else which folks frequently ask about on the support queue which can’t be answered w/ a link to somewhere on: https://docs.carbide3d.com/ and some explanatory text)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.