Vcarve 12 / Carbide Motion 635 Time Remaining Display

Newbie issue. Just ran my first project using Vcarve Pro 12.005 and cutting with Carbide Motion 635 as the Gcode sender.

The minor issue I am having is the Time Remaining display is not showing a time remaining value. Instead it displays “TextLabel” the entire time until the very end when it displays Under 1 Minute.

I did not have this display issue in Carbide Motion with Vcarve 11.5. Any idea what I have done wrong with version 12 to loose the time remaining display value?

Thanks for listening.

Allen

Could you post a pair of G-code files made from the same file? One exported from 11.5 and the other from v12?

Which post are you using?

I am using the same Vcarve and CM versions and see a time. It is rarely accurate but there is a scale factor you can input into Vcarve to try and adjust.

I use the built in Shapeoko post.

1 Like

Thanks Cullen, yes I am using scale factor of 1.0 in Vcarve.

Thanks Will, I made the two files you suggested and ran them and both worked fine. So it is something in the original large file I was cutting. I am prepping (painting) another board to try it again and see what happens. I will let you know what happens. Really strange how it displayed “TextLabel” on its own, have no idea how I made it do that.

Thanks again, will let you know what I discover.

Hi Will,

I took the original file I had the issue with and changed the material depth from .25 to .34 because the next board I was using was that different thickness. That is all I changed. And the time display came back. I then reloaded the original file and went to the start screen, and it still shows TextLabel. I’ll attach a screen shot picture. So my conclusion is some strange glitch in my file. I used Notepad to look at the gcode but I didnt see anything like TextLabel… So I think just close the issue please.

Hi Will,

Well, sorry to bother you again with this, I thought the issue had gone away, but now it is consistent with anything I create in both Vcarve Pro 11.554 and 12.005. Where Carbide Motion is getting “TextLabel” from is beside me. Everything else seems to work and cut just fine.

I’ll upload a simple 3 small circle cutout test file. I would be curious if Carbide Motion 635 does the same thing for you, or it is something wierd in my computer.

Thanks,

Allen
3Profile 1-cutout.zip (878 Bytes)

I am unsure how many folks will agree with me, but my best advice and what I personally follow is to generally ignore estimated time to cut and estimated time remaining except while designing the file. (I also use Vectric, and I never buy files) The only reason I ever look at estimated times is to alert me if I have done something stupid in the toolpaths that will extend machining time without improving results. There is almost always a way to cut the project faster.

Agreed. Mine does show it, but it is never right. Sometimes close and sometimes not. I did a pocket path earlier today that said 8 minutes and it took 7.5. Earlier in the day I did a photo vcarve that said 10 and took over 20. It doesn’t seem to consider retract times so things that bounce a lot are way off.

CC and CM never agreed either.

I don’t know why his version would not be showing it though. Its the same as mine.

One funny thing I noticed is if there is a very short path, like 1 minute or less it typically shows that it will take 30 minutes.

For anyone following this thread, I found the fix for my issue of the “TextLabel” display. I dont fully understand why, but, something must have happened to the migration of the post-processor in updating to Vcarve 12. Even though everything looked like it migrated OK, the proper selection was displayed, the ID was correct, etc. I was experimenting with different post-processors to answer another status line question, and the time display shifted back to a value.

So, if anyone else comes across the “TextLabel” display issue, try deleting and reselecting the post-processsor file.

Thanks,

Allen

Oh well, the fix was not permanent, the “TextLabel” display is back again.

So, there is a software programmer of Carbide Motion at Carbide3D that knows what the trap conditions are that trigger the time remaining value to be substituted with TextLabel.

I understand that there is an algorithm that calculates the time remaining value and it is just an estimate and not always very accurate as others have commented above. I understand that, but I still like seeing the value.

Therefore, please, can the Carbide3D programmer of Carbide Motion please tell me what error conditions might be triggering the failsafe TextLabel display, please.

Thank you,

Allen

OK, to add some additional testing info to my last comment.

I have noticed that the issue only occurs in files with the G2 command. Yes I am using the Vectric built-in post for Carbide Motion ATC mm.

So, question for the programmer, is there some kind of error trapping on the G2 command that CM can’t calculate the time remaing on arcs with the G2 command so replaces the time value with TextLabel??

Thanks,

Allen

Interesting, I use the Carbide Motion ATC (inches) post and don’t see that issue.