Vcarve letters overlapping

I am trying to vcarve text for the first time. I have 3 lines of text and in the 2nd and 3d lines the first two letters overlap each other. This issue does not show up in the simulation.
Shapeoko, dewalt router, carbide create 5 and carbide motion.
How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Shon

Please post the .c2d file, generated G-Code, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing any tool changes, and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine and we will do our best to work through this with you.

I am using stock center for the zero.
I am using the paper method for zeroing the z axis.
I have homemade clamps for securing the and holding down the work. I have a L-bracket to hold the bottom left and 3 clamps adding downward pressure.
There will be a bit change but the vcarve is the first process.
stock is approximately 1" thick. (cherry)
step one is carving the lettering. “The Dutko Family”. The “Du” and “Fa” are overlapped.
the file is: hi-q dutko text only
G-code: Hi-q dutko gcode half 60v.nc

hi-q dutko text only.c2d (321.1 KB)

I’m a new user so I can not upload more than 1 item and 1image

Thank you.

The spacing of letters is called kerning. The font you chose was designed for printing and the arthur of the font designed the font this way.

One solution would be to use Inkscape and create your text one letter at a time. Drag the individual letters apart and save them as an svg. If you know Inkscape you can change the kerning but that is more advanced than my first suggestion.

You could also pick a different font and show simulation to see if spacing (kerning) improved.

Edit: I looked at your picture again and Lester Shaw is right about the positioning of the letters. Maybe you should check over your machine mechanically. However some fonts put the letters together too closely for V carving.

This look like the axis can’t get all the way to the left. The CC preview and NC viewer don’t show an overlap issue. Both the D and the F should be to the left of the T of the first row. Could you be hanging up on the drag chain, vacuum hose, or debris? Did anything sound unusual during the cut? The stock size is only 8x8 so you have room to try mounting it an inch or two to the right and resetting the 0.

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot. The text I chose is from the CC drop down list though.

Carbide Create doesn’t have fonts of its own — it uses the fonts which are installed on you OS which the OS makes available to it.

Thanks,

Moving the board further to the right solved the issue. It didn’t occur to me to check the actual working area of the spindle head.

This is a great community.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.