Vcarve stars problem

I’m vcarving with a 1/4” 60 deg vbit. For some reason, the stars aren’t coming out symmetrical. There’s this strange shoulder it’s only carving into the left side of the star. What’s causing this?
It’s going at 50 ipm. I’ve carved this in the past with no problems.

Have you checked the usual suspects ? (v-wheels and belts)
The very asymmetrical aspect of the defect is surprising indeed, something loose mechanically would tend to not apply only to such a limited part of the cut, but who knows…
Do you see of hear anything out of the ordinary when the Vbit is cutting those stars ?

2 Likes

That gouge will probable move to the opposite side if you change from “conventional” to “climb” or vice-versa. That would be a clue to the problem which probably is that something is loose.

1 Like

I’ve narrowed it down to a software problem. I ran an older file that used vcarve 10.0 and it had no problem. The new file is from vcarve 10.50something. I guess I’ll email vcarve and see what they have to say. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Interesting, do you have lead-ins/ramps in your design ? We had a couple of threads recently about bugs in the new V-carve 10.5

Be sure to update to the latest 10.505 version too, maybe this is already fixed.

EDIT: it would be interesting to know if the defect was visible in a G-code viewer, it could have saved you some head-scratching.

1 Like

I was finally able to fix it by outputting to GRBL
post processor instead of Shapeoko. Completely baffling.

No ramps. I don’t even see an option to ramp on a vcarve toolpath.

I checked and I do have version 10.505. I should have resisted immediately updating to the latest version. I forget that newer does not always mean better.

I had the same idea about a gcode viewer and looked, but didn’t see anything.

are you using the imperial or metric post processor?
if imperial, there are many reports here about it being broken while metric works

(you don’t need to do your work in metric to use the metric post processor)

1 Like

Andrew, don’t “go off half cocked” about your software. They had some corrections to make to the post processor(s). There’s nothing wrong with upgrading Vectric software.

Get the right post and you’ll be fine.

@acollins Can you post the bad gcode here?

The trouble with being on the bleeding edge of technology is the bleeding.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.