Vectric Aspire to Carbide Motion

I created a topographical map on aspire. I exported the gcode in “inches” and it was my understanding that the Carbide Motion software could just directly import that gcode and start cutting. What am I missing? Do I need to be using a different software to import it to Carbide Motion?

Save the toolpath using the Shapeoko (inch) (*.gcode) post-processor in Aspire and Carbide Motion should be able to open the resulting .gcode file.

1 Like

There is also a grbl postprocessor in aspire that I have used successfully, it was the metric one though

1 Like

If the file isn’t loading, check the filesize — it may be that you will need to use Vectric Vtransfer or some other 3rd party tool, or rework your files to achieve a smaller filesize.

I know there is a limit but what is the size limit for CM? Is this being changed in the upcoming version?

Be aware I’ve had trouble with the “inch” version of the Shapeoko post processor and I’ve switched to the “metric” version exclusively. I think it had to do with the precision of the decimals but never tried to figure it out. I just know metric works.

Your design can be in inches or mm and you can still use the metric post processor. Be aware that CM had size limits and I’m using UGS for now.

1 Like

So I have exported the gcode shapeoko in inches and mm. But neither seem to load. They both are 22MB files so that could be it? What is the size limit?

~20MB seems to be where the problem begins.

You could try manually halving the file, see: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/FAQ#Continuing_a_cut_which_is_interrupted

I was able to mill the roughing with grbl code and so I tried it with the finishing 1/16 ball end but it won’t load. Can I half that?

Easiest way would be to increase your stepover and generate a new gcode file. Keep increasing stepover until the file is less than 20mb

A little harder is to bite the bullet and switch to UGS or CNCjs as your sender. Carbide3d has not committed date to fix this file size limit issue and you may want to run even larger files sooner than whenever.

Hardest way is to copy the current file into parts 1 & 2 and manually edit them. You’ll need to know what the initialization section looks like so it says in both file and you may need

1 Like

Are you sure you need a 1/16" ball end mill for the job? A 1/8" ball end will get you good detail with about 10% stepover and the gcode file size should be a lot smaller. The job will run faster too.

1 Like

You should also seriously look into a different gcode sender. Like @wb9tpg I use UGS (Universal Gcode Sender) and although it doesn’t have as polished a look as Carbide Motion, it is less limiting for a more advanced user.